Assistant Director, Academic Operations
4 days left
- Full Time
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
Are you a great communicator with attention to detail who wants to interact with students and faculty? The Academic Operations Office at the Stanford Graduate School of Business (also known as the GSB Registrar) is seeking an Assistant Director for a nine-month, fixed term, full-time position to start in early February 2019.
The Assistant Director, reporting to the Director of Academic Operations, plays a key role in communicating academic policy and processes to students and faculty, collecting GSB course data, and scheduling and administering exams. The ideal candidate excels in a fast-paced environment that requires balancing competing and conflicting needs. This person quickly understands complex processes, remains calm under pressure, and can communicate with multiple constituencies with diplomacy and tact. Solid analytical skills and attention to detail are required. A good sense of humor is appreciated.
Administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Administer an area or program in student services, evaluate and recommend decisions on program eligibility.
- Reconcile complex issues; analyze diverse transactions from multiple sources, review decisions recommended by other staff.
- Summarize data from multiple sources, prepare management reports and presentations.
- Identify and evaluate data needs, manage the implementation and development of technology.
- Develop and Implement plans for outreach efforts, develop and maintain external community and university liaison represent department and university at meetings and events.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve program issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Provide guidance and counsel, oversee and develop a wide range of programs and services, analyze effectiveness and make recommendations for future programs.
- Provide direct advice to students on a range of issues including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities and participate in related student recruitment and selection.
- May oversee, analyze and assist in financial processes and development of budgets.
- Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices and organizational change to improve processes and workflow.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to other departments; represent unit/department.
- Serve as a key member of university wide teams and projects.
- May train and supervise other staff.
- Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and care giving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ride sharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.