Senior Copyeditor, English
Department Name Research and Graduate Studies
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Duties & Responsibilities
The key role of the English copyeditor is to promote scholarship in the specialist field associated with the publication. He/she is responsible to review the spelling and writing style of articles and books content, as well as doing fact-checks to ensure that the content is accurate and true and in line with the Press’s writing style. He/she is required to ensure that all content is factually correct and properly cited. He/she should check the accuracy and format of every citation in all print and digital publications of books and articles of QU Press. He/she is responsible for offering feedback when required and ensure that any feedback to authors is constructive. He/she should endeavor to be a leader in the specific field of practice underpinning publication content as it helps the publication development, presence and standing within the international community.
- To review and edit all submitted English language content in light of the philosophy, purpose and general style of the publication (including rewriting, reorganizing, validating information in content, etc.).
- To ensure that documents are being revised within an agreed timeframe and that they abide by the publication’s guidelines and style guide.
- To familiarize himself/herself with each publication’s guidelines and style guide and provide feedback/updates to the Production Manager.
- To make editorial decisions with reasonable speed and to communicate them in a clear and constructive manner.
- To create a copyediting schedule sheet to be shared with the Production Manager in order to prioritize work and meet publication deadlines.
- To ensure that authorship criteria are met to the best.
- To keep all information about a submitted manuscript confidential, sharing it only with those involved in the review and publication processes.
- To maintain the highest ethical standards at all times and avoid situations that could lead to a conflict of interest.
- To answer questions and inquiries about publications.
- To perform other relevant duties as needed.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English linguistics, literature, or related field.
- English (Fluent)
- Arabic (Moderate)
- French (Moderate)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience within an editorial, or communications environment preferably in a university setting.
- Ability to work within the style of the author and publisher, rather than impose his/her own ideas.
- Demonstrable experience of high quality writing and editing skills – ideally with both academic and creative settings, in both print and digital communications.
- Demonstrates professionalism in dealing with team members.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisment 06-Jan-2019