General Description of the Job Class
The Continuity of Care pharmacy technician is a self-motivated, independent pharmacy technician responsible for working collaboratively with the Transitions of Care Manager within the Clinical and Patient Care Services division to perform medication history interviews for patients at Duke University Hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Use high-level communication skills to obtain accurate home medication list information from patient/caregiver interviews, retail pharmacies, or physician offices with persistence to achieve the highest level of accuracy with every interview
- Ensure complete documentation for each identified medication in the electronic medical record with careful attention to detail
- Provide for pharmacy technician and student training and development regarding medication history interviews and documentation
- Ensure necessary safety and quality control in the medication use system
- Works with clinical pharmacist staff to implement high-quality transitions of care
- Participate in departmental goal planning and quality improvement activities, focused on care transitions
- Support the Department of Pharmacy medication reconciliation program
- Participate in committee, workgroup or team meetings
- Contribute to development projects (design, implementation, measuring impact)
- Maintain familiarity with all departmental programs
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of drug names (brand/generic), basic math
- Must be able to operate a computer, telephone, pager, and other pharmacy equipment
- Attention to detail and persistence in work ethic
- Able to work independently and prioritize responsibilities in a high volume environment
- Necessary communication and interpersonal skills to maintain effective working relationships with patients, co-workers, and other healthcare professionals
- Takes responsibility for personal and professional growth
- Prefer a minimum of five years experience as a pharmacy technician plus completion of advanced competencies checklist as documented and approved by the Department of Pharmacy.
- Experience performing medication histories is preferred
Requisition Number 401520559
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 4121 PHARMACY TECH II
Job Family Level C1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires high school or equivalent. Successful completion of a formalized Pharmacy Technician program preferred.
Work requires a minimum of two years experience as a Pharmacy Technician plus completion of advanced competencies checklist asd ocumented and approved by the Department of Pharmacy.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Pharmacy technician certification is required from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).North Carolina Board of Pharmacy registration is required.
Auto req ID 107027BR