3 days left
- Full Time
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
Help the University of Michigan reimagine the future of education. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university. Academic Innovation is a fast paced startup environment leveraging modern technologies, languages and approaches. Work with complex data and cloud based solutions. Be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team that focuses on creativity and impact; automation and iteration.
The developer selected for this position will advance the cutting-edge of software innovation at the University of Michigan. Their responsibilities will include advising on application architecture and direction, leading project teams and developing applications across a range of exciting new projects and technologies. They will focus on the initialization, improvement and iteration needed to enable innovative learning practices and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
Are a self-driven technical expert who enjoys conceiving and implementing solutions to complex real world problems. You think in terms of abstraction, modularity and reuse. You architect your projects to both address the situation in front of you and optimize for future flexibility. You know how to work backward to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration and think in terms of efficiency and sustainability, pursuing automation and reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your releases. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are comfortable presenting your ideas to your team and stakeholders. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen to the expertise of others and when to lead with your own.
You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Serve as a primary developer for project level application development.
- Direct and review the work of student and junior developers and designers
- Assist DevOps Engineers in determining and implementing deployment solutions
- Maintain technical familiarity with mainstream and emerging technologies
- Advise on technical choices and direction for the Academic Innovation portfolio
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, instructional designers, faculty, researchers, and students, at the University of Michigan
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 2 years of professional software development experience
- Experience working with Python or Ruby and an associated web application framework (e.g.: Flask, Django, Rails)
- Ability to take design specifications and create working HTML5/CSS
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Experience working in a multi-platform, multi-OS environment in a cross-functional team of developers and designers
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale
- Experience configuring and deploying applications using Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with containers and container deployment technologies (Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc.)
- Experience working with data visualization libraries (d3, nvd3, highcharts, etc.)
- Experience partnering with clients and end users to translate requests and problems into software solutions
- Experience working as a mentor and technical resource for interns or junior colleagues
NOTE: This is a three-year, term-limited position.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.