Academic Innovation Compliance and Policy Lead
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Help the University of Michigan reimagine the potential and impact of educational technology. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university! The Office of Academic Innovation is seeking a talented Compliance and Policy Lead to play an active role in the Office of Academic Innovation (AI).
This new position focuses on helping various institutional stakeholders understand the legal and regulatory framework related to offering online and hybrid academic programs and consults with stakeholders regarding program design considerations to ensure online and hybrid offerings meet regulatory requirements. This position will also provide expertise regarding compliance considerations for products spanning the AI portfolio, including addressing issues related to data privacy and intellectual property.
The person selected for this position will report to the Director of Policy and Operations and work closely with the Director of Online and Hybrid Programs, as well as collaborating with other members of the Academic Innovation Team including program managers, learning experience designers, product managers, design managers, software developers, behavioral scientists, and researchers. In addition, this person will liaise with other U-M units including colleagues from the Office of General Counsel, Office of Technology Transfer, the Provost’s Office and the University Privacy Officer.
You are an intellectually curious, creative problem solver. You lead by listening, by collaborating, and by encouraging. You understand key applicable rules and regulations while encouraging creativity and adaptability. You challenge yourselves and your collaborators to think about risk while identifying pathways to maximize impact and enable excellence. You have experience creating something new and helping an organization and community to realize its potential. You work amazingly well with cross-functional stakeholders, including team members who focus on instructional design, software development, and project management, as well as academic and administrative leaders from across campus.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential education grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
- As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Analyze, compare and evaluate whether proposed and existing online programs comply with online learning laws, regulations, and requirements, including: federal laws and regulations, HLC regulations, state authorization requirements, state licensure requirements, and international program approval requirements.
- Work closely with representatives from AI, other offices across U-M, and individual academic units to maintain institutional authorization to offer distance education via participation in NC-SARA
- Collaborate with academic units to determine appropriate methods of informing students regarding state licensure requirements.
- Collaborate with stakeholders within AI and across the University in forming institutional positions related to regulatory and legal developments applicable to online and hybrid learning opportunities.
- Maintain a working knowledge of key data privacy laws (e.g. FERPA, GDPR, etc.) and University policies
- Draft, process and update internal contractual templates with direction from the Director of Policy and Operations
- Work with team members across AI to create and update AI policies and procedures related to online learning, open content, intellectual property and data privacy
- Liaise with other offices across U-M (including Procurement) with respect to contract negotiations with external vendor partners.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3-5 years experience in distance learning compliance, educational data privacy compliance, and intellectual property compliance (with a focus on copyright)
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to summarize complex regulations in a digestible manner
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
Juris Doctor plus 5-7 years experience in distance learning compliance, educational data privacy compliance, and intellectual property compliance (with a focus on copyright)
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.