Computer Network Engineer
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a Computer Network Engineer with extensive hands-on experience with large, high-availability Ethernet networks? Would you like to contribute to upgrading, developing, maintaining and operating the system for one of the largest particle-physics experiments in the world? CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Experimental Physics Department (EP), which carries out basic research in the field of experimental physics. It aims to provide a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community. It contributes to the education and training of young scientists.
- The ATLAS Trigger and Data Acquisition Group (ADT), which has major responsibilities in the ATLAS trigger and data acquisition system. Its activities span every aspect from development and operation of custom trigger hardware to high-level physics selection algorithms via data conveyance and control infrastructures.
- The CERN Data Acquisition Section (DQ) of the ATLAS experiment (http://atlas.cern/), which plays a leading role in developing, installing, commissioning, maintaining, operating and upgrading the DAQ system for the overall detector. This position is specifically to work in the Networking area, the backbone of the ATLAS DAQ infrastructure.
As a Computer Network Engineer in the EP-ADT-DQ Section, you will:
- Take a major role in the administration, operation and maintenance of the DAQ networks: this includes active traffic monitoring, follow-up and tracking of incidents, installation and configuration of new network devices.
- Providing technical advice and guidance to other members of the ATLAS DAQ Group and system administrators.
- Play a key role in the physical installation, configuration, commissioning and integration of new DAQ network infrastructure during the LHC shutdown (2019-2020).
- Work on the software suite needed to control and monitor the behaviour of the DAQ networks: this involves evaluation of third-party network monitoring and administration tools, improving in-house developed software.
- Contribute to the network design and implementation in preparation for the Phase-II Upgrade (2024-2026). Working with the ATLAS DAQ team, you will follow the requirement evolution and keep up to date with emerging network technologies.
- Foster contacts with network-device manufacturers and propose R&D projects to evaluate particularly promising technologies, possibly in collaboration with other groups at CERN.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing or computer science or a related field.
Certification from Network Device Vendors (e.g. IOS or JUNOS) would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in all phases of the design, installation, configuration and administration of large-scale Ethernet networks.
- Extensive experience in the operation, second-level support and debugging of networks with high-availability requirements.
- Experience in the area of software development, in particular product evaluation, coding, testing and versioning.
- Experience in large distributed DAQ systems for High-Energy Physics experiments would be beneficial.
- Operation and maintenance of networks: solid knowledge of protocols, device CLI, monitoring techniques and end-to-end performance optimizations.
- Design of networks: carry out the full design of a large network from user requirements within environmental and budgetary constraints.
- Capturing and analysis of requirements for ICT systems: ability to derive network requirements from application and system level operational needs.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: Linux, scripting languages (Python/Shell), relational databases and configuration automation tools.
- Identification and selection of relevant emerging ICT technologies
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Managing self: remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06.01.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-ADT-DQ-2018-76-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further