Food Service Associate
Duke Regional Hospital is currently hiring candidates with dynamic customer service experience. Candidates must exhibit excellent customer service skills, as well as the desire to work in a diverse team environment. The ideal candidate will have: previous customer service experience, healthcare preferred; prior call center experience in a fast paced environment (call center specialist positions only); flexible schedule with the ability to work evening and weekend shifts. Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications to be eligible for consideration.
Depending on the size of the entity and department structure, Level I and Level II may be combined.
Level I Perform routine tasks and manual work under immediate supervision in support of hospital food service operations; operate dish machine; wash pots and perform heavy cleaning duties; transport equipment, food, supplies, and refuse as directed. Level II Perform a variety of tasks in preparation, service and delivery of food products and/or service operations (ie. prepare, mix, assemble, portion, serve and store food as directed; receive inspect, store, secure disburse and control inventory of foodstuffs, supplies and equipment). Also may function as a cashier when directed.
- Retrieve, collect, and transport food service supplies, equipment and refuse as directed.
- Strip carts/trays, sort, rinse, dishes and silverware, operate and unload dish machine, and store clean items; inspect washed items for cleanliness and breakage.
- Clean and maintain dish machine; clean and sanitize assigned areas.
- Washes pots, pans and equipment.
- Collect, sort and dispose of trash.
- Follow all safety procedures for using equipment and chemicals. Level II
- In addition to the duties described in Level I, performs the following:
- May set up and serve food to patients and cafeteria customers as specified by menus, ensuring that all food items are properly portioned and handled within established sanitation standards.
- May operate and monitor proper functioning of food service equipment; follow all safety procedures for using equipment and chemicals; clean and sanitize equipment after use.
- May assist in tray line and/or cafeteria setup, ensuring that quality standards are maintained and safe food handling guidelines are adhered to.
- Detect and report improperly prepared food or food that does not meet standards and/or defective/damaged merchandise and status of all supplies in stock.
- May assist in the care and maintenance of work areas and alert supervisors to problems as they arise.
- May place food and supply orders with approved vendors under direction and guidance of Food Service Manager.
- May review stock levels of common foodstuffs and advanced menu items, conduct physical inventories and maintain inventory records; unload incoming supplies and equipment.
- May transport food carts to assigned locations.
- May prepare and set up food items to be delivered to catering functions as needed
- May plan, organize and provide service for routine and more complex catering functions.
- May work as needed for specially planned catering events.
- May maintain an accurate inventory of all catering equipment.
- May be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the catering area. If functioning as a cashier:
- Calculate total cost of items on food tray; accept payment in cash or meal tickets.
- Ensure validity of meal cards.
- Total cash/tickets at end of work period; deposit money and prepare deposit report sheet. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Level I
- Ability to lift/push/pull 50 pounds.
- Ability to read/write and follow oral and written instructions.
Level II - Same as level I plus :
- Basic math skills *Basic computer/cashier/calculator skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to operate food preparation equipment.
- Ability to prepare/handle foodstuffs using safe food handling practices.
- Ability to maintain inventory Level Characteristics Level I Heavy cleaning duties Level II Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision Ability to maintain inventory
Requisition Number 401518779
Duke Entity DUKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL
Job Code 4067 FOOD SERVICE ASSOCIATE
Job Family Level B1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME & PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Level I No previous food service experience required. Level II Work requires six months of food service experience.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Auto req ID 106855BR