Research Software Engineer/Developer
About the position
NTNU's IT Development Section is looking for a permanent, full time (100%) employee, with an ideal start date in January or February 2019. The duties of the position will be shared 60/40 between the Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience (Øya Campus), and the IT Development Section (Sluppen Campus).
The Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience/ Center for Neural Computation is a Center of Excellence, financed by the Norwegian Research Council for a ten-year period. We offer an international and multidisciplinary environment in which creativity and scientific discourse is valued and stimulated. Our widespread network of international collaborations offers unique career opportunities. (For more information see: http://www.ntnu.edu/kavli)
The IT Development Section’s Scientific Computing Group collaborates closely with research groups and research projects in support of their research activities. We participate in the operation and support of HPC supercomputers. Our contribution to research is general knowledge in science and technology combined with good knowledge of IT. (For more see https://www.ntnu.edu/adm/it/employees/it-development-section)
How is it to work with us?
Our team works closely with researchers on research related tasks, providing support through IT tools and solutions. We contribute custom solutions that support the individual needs unique to a research group. Consequently, our employees need both relevant IT competencies and general STEM skills. Our workday is varied, flexible and constantly changing.
- Designing and crafting software pipelines and applications to meet researcher needs.
- Improving existing applications with new features and enhancements.
- Ensuring that software pipelines are reliably, efficiently and correctly processing data.
- Documenting and communicating pipeline processes, building the team knowledge base, writing developer documentation and user guides; coaching researchers concerning best practices in writing code.
- Writing clean code, using source code control and testing.
- Interacting with researchers in order to understand their needs and present your solutions.
- Archiving data for long-term storage and releasing data to public archives.
- Researching new software tools, equipment, methods that can improve data processing in the lab.
- Higher education from a university or college. The ideal candidate will have a relevant bachelor`s degree (e.g.: biology, medicine, science, technology, engineering or mathematics). Long and relevant vocational experience may compensate for required education.
- You have experience working in a support role.
- You have experience in end-to-end software development, responding to and diagnosing feature requests and bugs.
- You are competent with a general-purpose software development, including: a knowledge of object-oriented programming, design patterns, data/view separation principles, and know when and how to optimize code for execution speed.
- You have a good knowledge of English, as it is the working language.
- A research background, preferably in neuroscience or biology
- A masters ‘degree
- A working understanding of Norwegian
- DevOps experience
- Experience in one or several programming languages, especially: Matlab, Python, C++.
- Knowledge of Linux systems and relational databases
- Good communication and collaboration skills
- A team player who easily interacts with others
- Service minded and flexible
- You can work independently and take initiative
Motivation and personal aptitude for this position will be taken in to consideration.
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- An open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- Favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Head Engineers code 1087 is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 472 000 - 600 000 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Anders Christensen, Group Leader for the Scientific Computing Group,
Tel: (+47) 91 89 71 81, Email: email@example.com or Haagen Waade, Senior Engineer at the Kavli Center,
Tel: (+47) 41 29 63 13, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number NTNU-nr. 107/18 when applying.
Application deadline: 03.12.18.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
NTNU is taking a momentous step into digitalization, and the IT Division is contributing in a variety of projects and initiatives. NTNU aims to be a professional IT service provider that listens to the needs of our users. Our employees have extensive experience and skills in areas ranging from advisory services and development to IT operations. NTNU IT provides IT services to nearly 50 000 students and employees at Norway’s largest university. The IT Division is a divition in the University Administration.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Trondheim
More searches like this
- Permanent Biological Sciences IT Services jobs in Norway
- Permanent Computer Science IT Services jobs in Norway
- Permanent Engineering & Technology IT Services jobs in Norway
- Permanent Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health IT Services jobs in Norway
- Permanent Mathematics & Statistics IT Services jobs in Norway