Institutional Review Boards Coordinator
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/03/OF
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002712-SOM Admin Clinical Invest Human Subjects
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The IRB Coordinator is part of a team that processes human subjects research documents for JHM Institutional Review Boards (IRB).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Determines review process for documents submitted for IRB review.
- Advises and assists investigators and their staff regarding JHM IRB application submission and review requirements.
- Certifies human subjects activities in grant applications.
- Formulates agenda materials and tracks components of the review process, including communication with other offices and committees.
- Attends IRB meetings to take minutes as needed.
- Maintains working knowledge of internal JHM IRB procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Scope of Responsibility
The IRB Coordinator will be moderately supervised by the Associate IRB Manager. The coordinator must be able to work independently and make sound judgements based on regulatory criteria.
The IRB Coordinator, under the guidance of the Associate IRB Manager and the OHSR Director, may assign duties to Administrative Coordinators.
The IRB Coordinator must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. The specialist must have the ability to work as a team member, be very detailed oriented, and have the personality that can adapt to a stressful work environment.
Bachelor’s degree required, and previous human subjects research compliance and/or research administration experience preferred. Requires good analytical and writing skills.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to move about, including transportation of a laptop computer and files.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.