Assistant Professor in Biology
- Full Time
Organization Name College of Medicine and Health Sciences
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
The responsibilities of faculty members shall be an appropriate combination of:
- Dissemination of knowledge through undergraduate and / or graduate teaching; and
- Research, scholarly or other creative activities; and
- Academic service
The position calls for a specialist in areas of biology (including biochemistry, ), to develop course outlines in their respective disciplines.
Specific duties of the successful applicant will include:
- Prepare teaching material including course outline, syllabus and lesson plans. Revise the subject matter on a regular basis as appropriate for that subject.
- Teach at the graduate and undergraduate level in subject areas related to biomedical sciences on time schedules allocated by the Line Manager.
- Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- Provide students with detailed syllabus, methods of instruction and evaluation in their courses.
- Engage in the selection of textbooks and other teaching aids necessary to the instruction of courses.
- Monitor students’ performance in their subject areas and provides remedial classes when necessary.
- Set and mark exams, coursework, assignments, laboratory work, homework, and any other relevant activity.
- Use up-to-date instructional technology and ensure the delivery is clear and consistent.
- Participate in professional peer reviews.
- Supervise teaching internships.
- Develop and improve their scholarly competence and effectiveness as teachers within their area of expertise.
- Teach at undergraduate level as required.
Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities:
- Carry out research and produces publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the review process.
- Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review.
- Deliver papers at professional association meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Participate in panels at regional and international meetings of professional organizations.
- Identify and successfully bid for external funding and grants.
- Actively raise the College's and Faculty’s profile, internally and externally.
- Participate in departmental and faculty seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department.
- Collaborate with colleagues, both within and outside the University, in conducting and managing research and consultancy activities.
- Supervise students’ research and practical work and of their theses preparation, as well as participate in evaluation of their theses.
- Contribute to departmental, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- Contribute to student recruitment, retention and placement efforts.
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental or advisory capacity.
- Support and participate in student organization activities.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
A PhD in a field of Biochemistry, Physiology, Anatomy or Pathology from an accredited institution. Preference will be given to candidates with education from pre-eminent institutions of higher education.
Optional qualifications that will be highly regarded
- A degree or qualification in Education.
- A postgraduate degree in research studies in a clinical or biomedical discipline such as Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, etc.
- A medical degree (MBBS or MD)
A minimum of 2 years postdoctoral experience AND experience in teaching at a level that is relevant to the position AND proven research potential.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Teaching and Research Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae)
Apply for Assistant Professor in Biology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly