Hours could be between 7:30am - 6:00pm
General Description of the Job Class:
Perform a variety of the technical procedures involved in the procurement, processing and evaluation of patient specimens for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease; teach and perform routine clerical and technical procedures including specimen collection, Waived Testing; responsible for the delivery of supplies and procurement of specimens from physicians’ offices, clinical specimen preparation and processing for analysis and dispatch, and order entry; and serve as laboratory representative and liaison with outside clients.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level:
- Perform a variety of routine and complex blood drawing procedures including, but not limited to, finger and heel sticks, pediatric venipuncture and blood cultures.
- Provide instructions to patients for proper collection of urine or stool specimens.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized specimen preparation procedures including, but not limited to general laboratory specimen preparation.
- Utilize standard procedure for positive patient identification; record appropriate collection information on proper requisitions; perform order entry and perform billing functions as required.
- Receive and process specimens as required including, but not limited to, centrifugation, separation of serum/plasma, and aliquoting of urines.
- Resolve all samples received without orders; review and resolve patient orders in question.
- Document uncollected specimens and communicate to provider/supervisor.
- Direct specimens appropriately and perform daily tracking of specimens.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff.
- Daily review of phlebotomy charges; follow up on missing charges; provide monthly tally to manager/supervisor.
- Perform review for expired tubes/supplies; remove from use.
- Daily disinfection of counters, keyboards, phones. Maintain clean and organized work area.
- Change biohazard containers when needed; prepare package for pick up.
- Perform various quality control procedures and record/monitor temperatures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations. Notify supervisor or PIC of problems/concerns.
- Perform daily/weekly/monthly maintenance checks, including, but not limited to, eyewash, emergency lighting, emergency alarms. Notify supervisor or PIC of problems/concerns.
- Assist with maintenance of retained specimens.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary to solve problems, obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation, or relay problems to supervisor/manager for resolution when appropriate.
- Participate in the distribution of reports to clinic staff.
- Provide technical guidance to employees assigned to work area.
- Review work for phlebotomy team members, assist in training new personnel.
- Prepare and initiate tests including, but not limited to, Waived Testing.
- Assist lab tech by performing instrument start up and shut down procedures.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; reorder as required; unpack supplies upon delivery-compare supplies received to those listed on packing slip; forward paperwork to appropriate person and alert them of discrepancies; stock supplies.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software, including, but not limited to, Pathnet, Softtech, SRS, Gajema, Duke at Work.
- Participate in committees and attend meetings which improve patient safety or satisfaction, employee safety or work culture.
- Participate in continuing education activities; maintain safety training; maintain records of each.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic phlebotomy techniques (venipuncture and capillary) with use of sterile techniques and standard equipment, including vacutainer tubes and sleeves, tourniquets, syringes, and butterfly and regular needles.
- Basic computer skills to support patient registry, etc.
- Basic communication and professional communication skills to interact with patients.
- Basic supervisory skills in technical assistance to other phlebotomists, scheduling, workloads, development of lab procedures.
Requisition Number 401518808
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4031 CLINICAL TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level B3
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
High School diploma or GED. For assignment to phlebotomy, completion of a structured phlebotomy training course and clinical rotation recommended.
Alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience. Must have at least 2 years experience as a Clin Tech I or Certification as a Phlebotomist plus achieve required competency level for specifiedjob responsibilities.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
For assignment to Phlebotomy Services, certification as a Phlebotomistby a nationally recognized board/agency* is required; certification of Basic Life Support preferred. Pediatric Phlebotomy requires Pediatric Phlebotomy Certification.National Healthcare Association (NHA) --Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomy Examination (CLPlb), American Society of Clinical Pathologists--Phlebotomy Technician Examination [PBT(ASCP)], International Academy of Phlebotomy Sciences (IAPS), National Phlebotomy Association (NPA),American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT).
Auto req ID 106881BR