Postdoctoral Fellow in Immersive Technologies for Learning
About the position
There is a temporary position available at the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning as Postdoctoral Fellow in Immersive Technologies for Learning for a period of 2 years-, without teaching duties. Postdoctoral Fellow is a fixed -term position with the primary goal of qualifying for work in professional academic chair positions.
The postdoc position will be a part of the Innovative Immersive Technologies for Learning (IMTEL) research group, led by Professor Ekaterina Prasolova-Førland. IMTEL researches immersive technologies for learning in several contexts, ranging from university education to emergency and medical training and workplace training. The group has founded and actively uses ‘Lifelong learning’ VR/AR lab, a top-modern and unique research facility devoted to educational immersive technologies without equal in Norway. The lab serves as a hub for cross-disciplinary research activities and collaborates actively with representatives for industry and public sector.
Immersive technologies, such as Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality / Mixed Reality (VR/AR/MR), are becoming the best practice in training in the high-tech industry but also an important part of the technological toolkit of teachers and trainers in higher education. The interest in the university teacher community for applying these technologies is very high. However, the pedagogical approaches for using such technologies are yet mostly experimental, and more research in this area is urgently needed. The teachers are lacking the necessary competences for using existing immersive-tech Open Educational Resources (OERs), adapting them to the curriculums and designing own resources. Therefore, the main objective of this postdoc project is to create a research-based methodology and a toolkit of procedures and recommendations for digital competence development of applying immersive technologies in higher education. Practically, the work will focus on the curriculum adaptation and use of immersive OERs in higher education settings (e.g., in a classroom or a lab). The major outcomes of the project will be an empirically evaluated methodology, a toolkit of procedures and recommendations, and a set of application cases. The major target group of the research project will be university lecturers from all departments as well as digitalization-responsible personnel in schools and colleges.
- Contributing to the development of a research-based methodology and a toolkit of procedures and recommendations for digital competence development of applying immersive technologies in higher education.
- Conducting research on integrating immersive technologies in higher education, developing and evaluating application cases, in tight cooperation with university educators at NTNU and other institutions.
- Contributing to research proposal writing (e.g., Horizon 2020 and the Norwegian Research council)
- Assisting project leader with coordinating research and educational activities at the IMTEL VR/AR lab
- A Norwegian PhD, or a foreign PhD approved as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD (or equivalent competence), in a relevant field: educational technology, pedagogy, instructional design, learning with ICT, human computer interaction or computer science. PhD students in their final year are also encouraged to apply.
- Documented experience in designing educational (media) content for technology-enhanced learning, especially for learning with VR/AR/MR
- Documented experience in integrating digital tools and resources into higher education practice
- Excellent academic writing and presentation skills
- An excellent command of spoken and written English
- Documented abilities to author scientific publications
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
The following qualifications will be considered an advantage:
- Experience with HCI (human-computer interaction), user experience engineering and computer programming
- Documented expertise in developing educational applications, especially VR/AR/MR educational applications
- Documented experience with project management
- Documented experience with writing funding proposals/securing external funding
- Experience with working in cross-disciplinary teams
- ability to work collaboratively in a cross-disciplinary team
- motivation to contribute to a good working environment
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 515 200 per annum before tax. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is two years without teaching duties.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
For more information about the position, please contact Professor Ekaterina Prasolova-Førland, firstname.lastname@example.org, +47 99440861. For more information about the appointment process, please contact HR-adviser Erik Lunde, email@example.com, +47 73559139.
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number SU-277 when applying.
Application deadline: 09.12.2018.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Education and Lifelong Learning
We develop knowledge about the processes of learning and individual development in the interaction between people, the environment and society – in a world where rapid changes demand constant adaptation. Our research and teaching include topics such as childhood, education and working life in a lifelong perspective, and our interdisciplinary environment has roots in both the social and educational sciences. The Department of Education and Lifelong Learning is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Dragvoll