Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Under minimal supervision from the Fiscal Manager in the Division, the Grants Manager is responsible for pre-award coordination of all grant applications as well as post-award support for a group of EAS faculty and their respective research groups, thus providing a full spectrum of service to the faculty while communicating effectively with all campus areas.
- Assist faculty in applying for new or continued support. Review/prepare non-scientific portions of proposals including budget development, proposal review, and identification of administrative issues requiring further review.
- Assist faculty in grant implementation and provide any necessary award-specific guidance to faculty and their respective groups on internal policies and procedures and funding agency compliance matters. Specific duties that are related to grant implementation include award setup, subrecipient paperwork and monitoring, equipment fabrication setup, cost sharing tracking and reporting, NIH Salary Cap compliance, effort reporting, etc.
- Manage spending of various awards to ensure that all grant expenditures are reasonable, allocable, and allowable according to OMB and agency guidelines. Prepare financial projections for Principal Investigators. Develop and customize, if necessary, periodic (quarterly at a minimum) reports for faculty and Division Chair. Advise faculty of potential problems and provide recommendations for corrective action.
- Maintain a positive, proactive relationship with various campus areas (Office of Sponsored Research, Project Accounting, Procurement Services, Payroll Services, etc.) to ensure full grant compliance and process efficiency. Interact with central accounting office and Office of Sponsored Research on matters related to award closeouts.
- Provide guidance in grants administration and provide training, if necessary, to administrative staff who assist with the account reconciliation process and correct posting of expenditures to various awards.
- Perform other related job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 years of relevant work experience
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Exercise good judgment, diplomacy, and patience.
- Possess interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Use a computer proficiently for word processing, databases, spreadsheets and online research.
- Experience with preparing and managing budgets.
- Experience with preparing grant proposals.
- Experience with analyzing, evaluating and recommending solutions to faculty on grant-related matters.
- Knowledge of federal funding administration and electronic proposal submission via agency websites (e.g. Cayuse, NSF Fastlane, Grants.gov, DARPA, NASA NSPIRES).
- Oracle and/or Caltech experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Cover Letter
- 2 Reference Letters