Stanford University Press is looking for a sharp, talented, and creative Publicist to promote our titles from our Redwood City, CA office. This person will spearhead the day-to-day efforts of publicizing our books to a variety of print, online, and broadcast media. In particular, the Publicist focuses on our key trade titles, ensuring that we garner both book review coverage and “off-the-book-review-page” author interviews and mentions.
- With minimal supervision, participate in the development and implementation of publicity initiatives that enable programs, services, events and/or products to meet business objectives. Support cross-functional collaboration across the organization.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience; or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Previous experience in product, program and/or services marketing.
- Ability to work independently to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
- Experience with managing projects.
- Knowledge of publicity across channels including digital and print.
- Familiar with market research and data analysis.
- Creative problem solver.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 4892
Job Grade: G
- Execute publicity strategies to meet business objectives.
- Implement publicity plans/programs to meet business objectives, including collaboration with internal stakeholders and vendor partners.
- Write, edit and schedule select publicity communications which adhere to communications and brand strategy for a variety of channels (i.e., web, print, email, online).
- Manage the design and production of select publicity materials.
- Conduct competitive bench marking and analyze campaign/program/service/event effectiveness used to inform decisions regarding strategic publicity direction, product segmentation and customer targeting.
- Assess market opportunities and research market trends.
- May plan and execute events to support marketing objectives.
- Monitor and oversee product/program budgets to meet program goals.
- Coordinate vendor estimates and invoice processing.
* - Other duties may also be assigned