Patient Service Intermediate/Surgery Scheduler
The West Ann Arbor Health Center – Parkland Plaza is the newest Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located 380 Parkland Plaza in Ann Arbor. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
To be considered for this position, a cover letter is required and should be attached as the first page with your resume. The cover letter should address each of the following points:
- Describe your background and qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position at the West Ann Arbor Health Center.
- Outline your service excellence skills and experiences which would be applicable to this position.
- In your most recent position, how was service excellence emphasized?
Describe a situation in which a customer or colleague was upset and the steps you took to resolve the issue to a reasonable conclusion
- Exercise initiative, independent judgment, and a service-oriented attitude while scheduling patients for operative procedures within an ambulatory care setting.
- Organize and secure surgery dates for patients through direct contact in clinic or via phone. Answer patient questions about the surgery schedule as well as their expectations.
- Coordinate and schedule pre and post-operative appointments and all relevant studies and tests as directed by faculty and nursing staff.
- Complete insurance authorizations for outpatient surgeries and diagnostic tests.
- Ensure information such as operative details, required equipment, and procedure codes are entered into MiChart correctly.
- Responsible for posting scheduled surgeries to section, division, and faculty calendars to ensure transparency across care teams.
- Act as liaison between faculty, nurses, and OR staff to move, alter, or reschedule operative procedures.
- Initiate requests for urgent/emergent overbooks as well as incremental rooms (as needed).
- Prioritize and maintain OR case depots and operative wait lists.
- Assist in the monitoring of OR utilization by division, faculty, and location, in efforts to maximize efficiency.
- Work in conjunction with supervisor to ensure unutilized time is reallocated within the Section and/or is appropriately relinquished.
- Work closely with administrative assistants to ensure faculty availability and preferences are upheld.
- Conduct continuous improvement projects in order to affect the quality, speed, and efficiency of surgery scheduling.
- Utilize discretion and appropriate judgment regarding sensitive and/or confidential matters.
- Cross cover breaks and vacations with OR scheduler team
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated experience delivering excellent customer service.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully complete multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines is required.
- Attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to meet deadlines. Time-management and multi-tasking skills are necessary.
- Excellent written, verbal, and computer skills
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills/technologies and adapt to changing environments.
- Ability to accept direction from multiple sources, prioritize tasks and remain adaptable to rapid changes in work.
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional, flexible and a positive team player
- Committed to Service Excellence for patients, families, faculty and staff.
- Three to five years of clerical experience, including one year experience in an outpatient clinic is strongly preferred
- Experience scheduling in both MiChart and OpTime
- Knowledge of medical terminology
Monday through Friday days
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.