The Frances Willson Thompson Library at the University of Michigan - Flint is currently hiring a temporary archivist to assist the Assistant Archivist.
In support of the University’s vision of engaging minds and preparing leaders, the Thompson Library creates a student-centered environment that fosters learning and academic achievement by providing access to authoritative sources of knowledge and information and by teaching critical information literacy skills and concepts.
The Genesee Historical Collections Center (Archives), a division of the University of Michigan-Flint Thompson Library, contains both published and unpublished material concerning the history of Flint and Genesee County, Michigan, as well as the archives of the University of Michigan-Flint. It has existed since 1984, primarily serving UM-Flint students.
- Will be responsible for familiarizing the Archivist with the Genesee Historical Collections.
- May also assist on special projects if needed.
- ALA-accredited Master’s of Library Information Science or advanced degree in a related disciplinary field with specialization in archival studies.
- Demonstrated understanding of archival collections and principles of arrangement and description through a completed finding aid or other description tool.
- Intrinsically motivated and service oriented.
- Prior Archivist Experience
- Experience running and managing an archival collection.
- Experience arranging and describing archival materials.
- Knowledge of Genesee regional history, University of Michigan history.
- Completed coursework in electronic archival description, and library cataloging.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.