Animal Attendant and Animal Technician
- Appointment Type: Two x 2-year fixed term, part-time positions, start January 2019
- Salary Package:
- Animal Attendant, HEW Level 3, 2 days per week from $56,579 - $64,592 p.a. pro-rata
- Animal Technician, HEW Level 4, 3 days per week from $65,164 - $70,232 p.a. pro-rata Plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading for both appointments
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
The Roles – Two part-time positions
We are seeking two passionate animal carers to join the Macquarie Animal Research Services (MARS) team as either an Animal Attendant or an Animal Technician on a part-time basis. These roles are available from January 2019. The Animal Attendant position is available for two days per week. The Animal Technician position is available for three days per week.
This is your opportunity to provide hands-on animal husbandry and care to research animals ensuring a high standard of animal welfare is met and the animal facilities are well maintained. Working as part of a friendly, busy team you will also ensure animal records are kept up to date and provide support to research staff with regards to animal welfare. Additional key tasks for the Animal Technician include providing general direction and guidance to team members and liaising with internal and external clients.
Drawing on your relevant qualifications and/or previous experience in animal care, you will have an understanding of the day-to-day operation of an animal facility and knowledge of safety and regulatory compliance requirements.
As the successful candidate, you will need to prioritise animal welfare and the needs of the research staff and students collaborating with your team, and maintain excellent attention to detail in every activity.
MARS is responsible for the breeding and care of animals used for research and teaching and the maintenance of the animal holding facilities. Operating within a highly regulated environment, the team is committed to high animal welfare standards while supporting Macquarie University’s research through efficient delivery of services.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for these positions, please apply online. You will be asked to select whether you are applying for a position as an Animal Attendant, or an Animal Technician or both positions. In the application process, attach your resume and a separate cover letter (no more than 3 pages) that outlines how you meet the selection criteria below:
Essential Selection Criteria for both positions
- Certificate III in Animal Technology, Animal Care and Management, Zoo Keeping or other relevant qualification
- Demonstrated skills and experience working in an animal facility
- Experience providing a high level of customer service and an ability to build and manage relationships
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of the NSW Animal Research legislation
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and regulations as they relate to animals and animal ethics
Additional Selection Criteria for the Animal Technician position
- Diploma in Animal Technology or other relevant qualification
- Demonstrated experience handling and caring for various animal species
- Prior experience providing general direction and guidance to staff members
- Prior involvement in animal research
For further information regarding the roles please view the position descriptions: Animal Attendant_3.pdf and Animal Technician_4.pdf cli
Please note, both positions require:
- a criminal record check
- Ability to undertake weekend work on a roster pattern, currently monthly
Specific Role Enquiries: Dr Ronny Eidels Shimonny, Head MARS on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 9850 7778
General Recruitment Enquiries: Patsy Moss at email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday, 25 November at 11:55 pm AEDT
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.