Post doc Position in Social Gerontology
Karolinska Institutet, Institutionen för neurobiologi, vårdvetenskap och samhälle, Aging Research Center, ARC
The Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society (NVS) conducts world leading research in aging, dementia, epidemiology and care sciences. This research extends from basic molecular and cell levels to clinical research and societal studies. NVS educates almost a third of KI students at basic and advanced levels. The Department has approximately 450 employees and a revenue 2017 of 470 million SEK. It comprises eight divisions, located at Campus Flemingsberg and Campus Solna.
Aging Research Center (ARC), an interdisciplinary research center with focus on older people and aging in collaboration with Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University is opening a two year post-doc position.
The Social Gerontology research group is now looking for a skilled and innovative person who will contribute to the development of our ongoing research. Our research group uses cross-sectional and longitudinal data from interview studies and registers to study aging and older people’s health and living conditions. Currently, we are working with multiple scientific questions on topics such as:
- older people’s health and mortality risks
- health trends and health- and social care at population level;
- how living conditions and habits experienced throughout the life course are associated with helath and living conditions later in life.
These areas are often pursued addressing equality issues.
The post-doc will conduct research within two large research projects: IDOL (Inequality Dynamics Over the Life course) and HEMO (HEalth and Mortality in Older Europeans). The post-doc will study health and mortality differences in older populations, both from a life course and a contextual perspective, with advanced quantitative research methods. Over the course of the postdoctoral appointment, the candidate will plan, analyze, structure, and report on results from these projects. The post-doc is expected to contribute to the development of specific topics within these programs. The position will also entail collaboration and participation in dissemination activities outside of academia.
A person is eligible for a post-doc position if she or he has obtained a PhD no more than seven years before the last date of employment as post-doc.
The applicant must have a doctoral degree and have an educational background in Social Sciences, Social Epidemiology or Public Health. Candidates should have documented experience of advanced statistical analyses of large data materials. Subject knowledge of ageing, health, social inequality or social determinants of health and particularly a track record of publication within these fields in international journals, is also meritorious. We highly value experience of comparative cross-national research. The candidate we seek has good communication and writing skills and the ability to collaborate effectively both within and outside academia.
An employment application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defense, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than two pages)
- Verifications for crediting of illness, military service, work for labor unions or student organizations, parental leave or similar circumstances
- Verification from the thesis defense committee or the equivalent (only if the thesis defense is scheduled within three months after the application deadline)
The application is to be submitted on the Varbi/MyNetwork recruitment system.
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences. The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type Full time
First day of employment According to agreement
Salary Monthly salary
Number of positions 1
Working hours Full time
County Stockholms län
Reference number 2-6237/2018
- Contact Johan Fritzell, Director ARC, Professor, +46852485812 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Axelsson, HR Officer, 08-524 882 96
- Carina Eklund, OFR, 08-585 826 65, email@example.com
- Henry Wölling, SEKO, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agneta Öhlen, SACO, 08-524 837 53, Agneta.Ohlen@ki.se
Last application date 04.Jan.2019 11:59 PM CET