Perform a variety of technical and skilled duties involved in maintaining Duke University landscape and grounds in accordance with established schedules and instructions.
- Coordinate and participate in the proper care of Duke University landscape and grounds to include trimming, edging, weeding, pruning of trees and shrubs, application of herbicides, pesticides and fungicides, and application of seeds, bulbs, plants, mulch and fertilizers as directed; operate weed eaters, power edgers, power mowers, backpack sprayers, hoes, shovels, hand tools and related landscape equipment as required.
- Instruct and direct grounds crew in proper methods and techniques including, but not limited to, herbicide, pesticide, and fertilizer applications, pruning, trimming, planting, and mowing patterns.
- Calculate proper amounts of herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, and topsoil for landscape applications; walk off areas, take measurements, compute percentages, and determine proper ratios, mixtures and quantities of materials required for landscape work.
- Attend herbicide, turf management, irrigation maintenance and/or pest control classes as directed to stay abreast and knowledgeable in landscape techniques. Lay out and construct special landscape projects from designs, blueprints and plans to include planters, planting beds and landscape timbers; ensure work is installed according to project specifications; repair broken posts or fences as directed. May install, maintain and repair electrical and hydraulic irrigation systems, to include laying PVC pipe, repair of plumbing, replacing defective sprinkle heads, and solving basic system problems.
- May construct, level, mark off and manicure sports fields according to plans, designs and specifications; ensure ground crew follows proper procedures to meet specified requirements.
- Monitor work of lower-rated employees and assist supervisor in the implementation and regulation of the crew's work assignments; ensure crew has adequate supplies and equipment to carry out assigned tasks.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level Education/Training
- Work generally requires two years of experience in maintaining grounds and landscape to acquire specialized knowledge of irrigation systems, turf management, sports fields, horticulture and/or landscape design.
- A high school degree combined with one year of post-secondary education in a closely related field (e.g., agriculture, horticulture, turf management) may be substituted for the above requirements.
- OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Work requires a North Carolina Driver's license.
Requisition Number 401516811
Duke Entity CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code 503 LANDSCAPE SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 05
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID 106835BR