Senior Billing Clerk
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Daily input of hospital charges for surgical cases. Involves great attention to detail of CPT codes and proper ICD-9/ICD-10 diagnosis coding.
- Registers patients to enable the billing to be completed for M-lab Clients and outside consults accurately assigning proper insurances used through our current billing/registration system.
- Reviews and verifies insurance information provided for the patients against the program provisions (e.g., Medicare, Blue Cross)
- Cross-trained on the billing for M-Lab Clients on the hospital side using proper ICD-9/ICD-10 diagnosis coding and procedural CPT coding.
- Responds effectively and timely to both external and internal customers in regards to e-mails and phone calls. Involves professional written responses, strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, and good communication skills.
- May be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description as needed.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma required.
EXPERIENCE: 5-10 years of medical billing experience, strong knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid, Blue Cross and Commercial Insurances, along with knowledge of Procedural CPT coding and ICD-9/ICD-10 diagnosis coding is required. Good communication skills required both oral and written.
EQUIPMENT/TOOLS: Computer terminal and printer, facsimile machine, photocopier and adding machine.
PERSONAL TRAITS, QUALITIES, AND APTITUDES: Must be able to:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Inside environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Minimal amount of walking, standing, reaching and or lifting required.
North Campus Research Complex, Ann Arbor
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.