Senior Researcher in Physics
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Senior Researcher in the Lindhurst Laboratory for Experimental Geophysics will collaborate with the Principal Investigator to design and execute experiments, interpret data, and present results through oral and written communication.
- Design and execute shock temperature measurements with existing and new pyrometer instruments on light gas gun.
- Design and integrate optical and electronic elements of fast multichannel pyrometer.
- Calibrate secondary spectral radiance standards for the 6-channel pyrometer.
- Manage accurate characterization of the pyrometer photodetectors.
- Plan experiments to achieve specific scientific goals such as melting point determinations of minerals under dynamic loading.
- Determine optical absorption of preheated to 1900-2300 K minerals transparent at ambient conditions.
- Manage data reduction, interpretation, oral presentation, and written publication of scientific results.
- Finalize manuscript on B1-phase MgO melting data at the Earth's core-mantle boundary pressure.
- Work with students and postdocs; contribute to the education and scientific productivity of individuals invited to work in the lab.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in experimental physics or geophysics.
- At least 8 years of direct experience in shock wave lab operations.