Welcome to Land, Buildings & Real Estate:
Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) is the operational core of Stanford University’s physical campus. LBRE constructs and maintains the Stanford campus, where advancements across the academic spectrum are made possible. Our work is founded upon the collective value of dedication, innovation, expertise, teamwork, and continuous improvement. We are committed to serving the university’s academic mission, as well as preserving and enhancing Stanford’s 8,180 acres, and pride ourselves on supporting the teaching and research of the university as “Caretakers of a Legacy."
Who We Are:
Finance & Administration provides the foundation for Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) operations including budgets, capital funding coordination and documentation, information technology systems, authority and approvals, internal controls, compliance, accounting and reporting and human resources for LBRE. We are the liaison with other university financial departments, Research Administration, Human Resources, the Cabinet and Board of Trustees.
Who you are
You have a passion for all things math, systems and business. You realized that Finance perfectly blends these together and this is why you pursued a career in Finance! You are also a seasoned financial analyst who is highly analytical and communicates effectively with anyone within an organization. You possess strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal. You have a proven track record of using analysis to influence decision-making, and can successfully articulate insights and outcomes to executives and peers. That means that you can take financial data and translate that into a story that is understandable for our non-technical staff and leave the financial jargon out of it when necessary.
You are more than comfortable with technology, both financial systems and non-financial systems. You have used Adaptive Planning before, but even if you haven’t, that’s okay because you have the agility to learn new things and require minimal supervision after that. You embrace technology as you realize that it is a perfect complement to financial data analysis.
Proactive monitoring of transactions is second nature to you, not only that but you are able to interpret internal policies, rules and compliance along with external regulations to ensure that the proper action is taken.
You can Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis using advanced technical knowledge and experience. You possess an advanced knowledge of excel that helps you develop complex budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations [remember, you keep it simple to your audience when necessary]. Your skills encompass the use of simple and advanced functions along with advanced formula use and nesting of formulas. In short, you do not need help with excel.
You like to share your knowledge with others because you thrive in a collaborative environment. While you may be new to a role or even new to using a system, once you learn it, you enjoy sharing that knowledge with team members.
You are meticulously detail oriented, insatiably curious, and full of integrity.
Who will you support:
There are many departments at LBRE, your primary support will be for the Sustainability and Energy Management (SEM) group. There will be occasions where you will step in to assist other departments, but SEM is your main team. Who is SEM?
The Department of Sustainability & Energy Management Department (SEM) is made up of a diverse community of professionals who work to develop comprehensive, long-term strategies to manage the university's carbon footprint and natural resources in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Climate change caused by anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions may well be the greatest environmental and socioeconomic challenge and opportunity of our time. Stanford has accepted the challenge and embraced the opportunity to raise the bar in the use of innovative, efficient and renewable energy supplies to reduce the environmental impact of operating a research institution of this size.
Comprised of Energy Operations, Facilities Energy Management, Water Resources and Civil Infrastructure, and the Office of Sustainability, the department takes a holistic approach to integrate sustainability into all aspects of campus operations. SEM provides long-range planning for campus utilities and transportation needs, and carries out those plans through capital improvements to the campus; procurement of gas, electricity, water, and sewage services from external entities; and efficient resource management.
What work will you do**:
- Multiple analysis related to variances, impact of transactions on current and future utility rates. May work Rate restructure study.
- Research, and synthesize data; interpolate results from large amounts of data, identify trends in variance analysis. Understand the story behind why things are changing – use the data to create the story to be shared with stakeholders in a manner that can be understood by [translate the finance jargon into understandable language]
- Develop complex budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations; design and run ad hoc reports
- Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis using advanced technical knowledge and experience. The use of advanced excel skill will be required.
- Recommend and develop solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational and university perspective in decision making.
- Looking at service center compliance requirements and internal rules, manage compliance program for area of responsibility, interpret internal policy and external regulations, and create and/or review complex compliance reports
- Represent organization to client group(s) and external partners; serve as subject matter expert on matters that involve complex technical, financial, or subject matter expertise.
- Using report data, assess client and business needs, and formulate recommendations to determine approach to managing and completing processes, achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Performed on a continuous basis.
- This and many other financial adventures await your arrival…
**Additional duties as applicable to the role
What we are looking for:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and four years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience
- You are proficient with excel – advanced formula use.
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial systems and aptitude to learn new systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to work independently and as a team player
- Proven ability to perform with a high degree of accuracy under tight deadlines and ability to effectively multitask.
Preferred but not required:
- Proficiency with Oracle systems in general
- Proficiency with Adaptive Planning and you are familiar with navigation and use
- CPA license
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Check out the Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. Don’t forget to attach your resume.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record.
Job Family: Finance
Job Code: 4453