Assistant Research Technician
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to assist with projects in mammalian synthetic biology in the Elowitz lab at Caltech. The ideal applicant should be skilled in general molecular biology and cell culture techniques. The candidate must be organized, hard-working, and have excellent communication skills.
- Molecular biology, including PCR, DNA cloning, and plasmid preparation.
- Cell culture, including general cell culture maintenance, and cell line construction and verification.
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization and immunostaining.
- Fluorescence microscopy, including live cell and fixed cell imaging.
- Other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field required by date of hire.
- Biology research lab experience.
- Ability to record, interpret, and report results with clarity.
- Hands-on experience with basic molecular biology techniques, including PCR and restriction enzyme cloning.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian tissue culture.
- Motivation to learn and desire to read primary scientific literature.
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluorescence microscopy experience.
- Computer programming experience (Matlab preferred).
- Data analysis experience and quantitative skills.
- Cover Letter