Cashier,Office of the Bursar
Each member of the cashier team ensures the prompt and accurate processing of student account payments, departmental deposits, and various cash disbursements. This job requires a high level of attention to detail, strong analytical and research skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with a broad range of customers.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to:
- Meet all deadlines associated with processing incoming payments and deposits to ensure timely deposit of University assets.
- Consistently deliver a high-level of prompt, accurate, and courteous customer service to students, parents, departments and colleagues.
- Consistently demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills • exercise judgment and appropriate care in dealing with confidential student/department information.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a strong work ethic in all work.
- Be a fully engaged member of the cashiering team always working to meet team goals, assume personal responsibility for individual and shared tasks and maintain a positive flow of communication with fellow team members
- Provide professional client service, which includes, greeting the customer, thanking each person, and performing accurate transactions.
- Communicate and interact – by telephone, e-mail and in person – with students, parents, customers, vendors and colleagues – in a professional and tactful manner.
- Always provide prompt, accurate and courteous customer service. Perform Desktop Deposit scanning of all checks.
- Review, audit and verify accuracy of scanned check images to ensure these are accurately presented to the bank for electronic processing.
- Analyze grant, scholarship and sponsor payments made to student accounts to ensure these are applied in accordance with University and federal aid guidelines as well as per the granting agency’s directions.
- Manage and respond to e-mails in the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail box. E-mails to this box are typically answered within eight business hours.
- Use PeopleSoft to process student account payments, departmental deposits, run queries and analyze student accounts.
- Ensure each transaction is recorded promptly and correctly to guarantee accuracy of student accounts and general ledger accounts.
- Review, audit and verify accuracy of supporting documentation scanned via ImageNow program.
- Accurately maintain custody of cash and checks processed in order to balance and account for all funds at the end of each business day.
- Manage disbursement of cash advanced to students as well as petty cash and cash advanced to researchers for use in paying research subjects in approved research studies.
- Process bank wires to ensure electronic deposits are recorded per directions provided by sending banks.
- Maintain a working knowledge of University departments and programs needed to aid in identifying and crediting recipients of bank wires.
- Maintain an environment of strong internal controls over accuracy, timeliness of recording and securing cash transactions.
- Maintain accurate and timely information in various Access databases, including the bank wire and short term research subject cash fund databases.
- Possess a working knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook to prepare and distribute reports, manage correspondence and conduct University Cashiering business.
- Work with other team members to coordinate, prioritize and organize activities to meet established goals and assigned deadlines.
- Prepare, verify and deliver change funds to customers (requires lifting rolled and boxed coin).
- Expected to perform vault teller duties on an as needed basis. Complete other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to quickly and accurately count large sums of cash by hand
- Strong team player orientation
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Advanced analytical and organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office - in particular Access, Excel, Word and Outlook
- PeopleSoft and SAP experience strongly preferred
- Advanced professional training in internal controls, bank compliance/regulations and cash handling (such as provided by ABA to bank industry employees)
- Able to work overtime during peak periods
- Minimum of one year of experience as a bank teller or similar occupation
Requisition Number: 401515761
Duke Entity: CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code: 337 CASHIER, UNIVERSITY CASHIERING
Job Family Level: 07
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic mathematical and clerical principles generally acquired through a high school education.
Minimum of one year as a bank teller or similar experience required.
Auto req: ID106706BR