Sous Chef,Dining Service
Nature of Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the kitchen personnel and culinary activities for Duke#s Residential Dining. This includes ensuring a consistent and high level of food quality; safety and sanitation; daily supervision; employee training and cost control.
Specific Duties: % of Effort
- Supervise and on occasions participate in the preparation and cooking of various food items in all areas and kitchens, as well as checking flavor profiles during cooking process, in accordance with quality standards, quantity demands and recipes. Recommend changes in recipes and cooking methods to improve food quality; maintain necessary food production records. 15
- Supervise and direct proper sanitation of all kitchen facilities and equipment following proper procedures; ensure compliance with all safety procedures for using equipment and chemicals; monitors all cooler and freezer temperatures and ensures completion of all cleaning checklists. 15
- Ensure handling of all food products in accordance with recognized safe food handling practices, including following and monitoring HACCP procedures throughout the day. 15
- Support senior leadership by developing and assuming basic management responsibilities, including the creation and monitoring of station/kitchen checklists and logs. 10
- Plan and schedule work for the culinary team ensuring proper distribution of assignments, daily break schedules. 10
- Collaborate with the Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef to forecast and manage menu requirements and inventory for each outlet. 10
- Manage other key culinary leadership rolls including lead employees and assist in culinary training. Monitor staffing levels to minimize cost and increase productivity. Recommend staffing needs according to business levels. 10
- Coach, counsel and assist in conducting performance evaluations of production team; recommend or conduct disciplinary action of production team when necessary according to company standards. 10
- Monitor food production, ordering, cost, quality and consistency on a daily basis. 5
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Work requires communication, analytical and organizational skills completion of an Associate's degree in hospitality management, food service management, or a related culinary degree. Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and /or experience.
- Experience: Work requires a minimum of 3 years of progressive culinary management experience. Prior experience working in a bargaining unit setting preferred.
Requisition Number: 401516389
Duke Entity: UNIVERSITY
Job Code: 2117 SOUS CHEF
Job Family Level: 10
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communication, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of an Associate's degree in hospitality management, food service management, or a related culinary degree.
Work requires a minimum of 3 years of progressive culinary management experience. Prior experience working in a bargaining unit setting preferred. Or and equivalent combination of relevant education and /or experience.
Auto req: ID106720BR