Research/Development Engineer, Biomedical Engineering
Provide basic professional science & engineering services by performing a variety of technical duties involved in planning, design, construction, alteration and testing related to biomedical science according to established procedures or instructions in support of research and development activities.
- Perform basic professional science & engineering duties according to established procedures or instructions to design, develop, construct and test specialized protocols and systems for the development of engineering projects, the solutions of engineering problems, and other research and development activities.
- Provide assistance, instruction, and consultation to faculty and student researchers and to staff members for resolution of special problems; demonstrate techniques for operating specialized equipment.
- Perform a variety of technical duties involved in conducting standardized tests, experiments, and determinations in support of translational, biomedical research-oriented activities at Duke University.
- Assume responsibility for required post-experiment in vitro & in vivo tissue and cell collection, processing, and analyses.
- Assist with pre-experiment preparation and maintenance of cells, reagents, buffers, and solutions.
- Collect information and data through observation, experimentation, and various other methods; maintain technical files and manuals of information.
- Communicate effectively with the senior scientists and other members of the team.
- Establish work flow with the help of senior scientists and execute procedures and analyses independently with minimal supervision.
- Maintain accurate records of protocols, results, and interpretation.
- Recommend and procure electrical, mechanical, biomedical, video and optical equipment appropriate for laboratory or project needs; maintain records of expenditures.
- Ensure compliance with applicable safety and efficacy requirements.
- Perform routine maintenance on components, apparatus and systems; troubleshoot problems and perform repair work as needed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Requisition Number: 401515441
Duke Entity: UNIVERSITY
Job Code: 1817 RESEARCH & DEV ENGINEER I
Job Family Leve: l10
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a thorough knowledge of the principles of engineering and related natural sciences acquired through completion of a Bachelor's degree program in an Engineering science or a related natural science such as Physics or Chemistry. Due to professional exemption, equivalent experience cannot be substituted for bachelor's degree.
None required.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Auto req: ID106703BR