Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner,Cardiology of Lumberton
The Cardiovascular Surgery Advanced Practice Provider (APP) will provide medical and surgical care for patients requiring Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery services with Duke Cardiovascular Surgery of Lumberton. The CV APP will perform these services under the direct supervision of the designated supervising physician(s) and/or the designated alternate supervising physician(s). The CV Surgery Physician Assistant will provide clinical care in multiple settings, including outpatient clinic, inpatient floor, ICU, and operating room. The APP will be involved with the care of the patient in any role which the supervisory physician deems proper and consistent with applicable law, medical center regulations, and delineation of privileges, in combination with the training, knowledge, skills and experience of the CV Surgery APP.
- Performs first assistant duties on a wide range of cardiac, vascular, and thoracic surgical cases; exhibits autonomy in the operating room when required
- Provides coverage for cardiovascular and thoracic surgery consultation in the inpatient setting, including new consults, follow-ups, pre-op, intra-op, and post-op care
- Performs patient histories, physical exams, consultations in inpatient and outpatient settings
- Performs invasive procedures, such as thoracentesis, chest tube insertion, and placement of central venous catheters, including tunneled dialysis catheters
- Retrieves vascular tissue, including greater and lesser saphenous veins and/or radial arteries, for use as a bypass conduit with endoscopic technique
- Removes chest tubes, pacing wires, pleurX catheters, permcaths, vascaths
- Orders and interprets labs, EKGs, chest-x-rays, and CT scans
- Uses knowledge of medical model to promote synergistic relationship between physician and PA
- Manages other disease entities frequently encountered in the cardiac population, namely hypertension, diabetes, COPD, asthma, hypothyroidism and others
- Coordinates and communicates patient care with nursing staff, patients, hospitalists, and families
- Provides on-call care on a rotating basis (including 1 rotating weekend per month) with the CV Surgery physicians and APP staff to meet the needs of the practice
- Completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner Program or PA Program at the Masters level and licensure as an NP or PA in North Carolina
- Preference for cardiology experience and/or cardiology clinical rotations
Requisition Number: 401515289
Duke Entity: PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Code: 5082 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
Job Family Level: I1
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program. A Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree strongly preferred.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID106625BR