Academic Affairs and Programs Administrator
Job Code: 7501
Job Grade: F
FTE: 100%, Exempt
School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Department
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risktakers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Electrical Engineering, one of the largest departments in the School of Engineering, continues to define new directions and develop new technologies to help address critical societal challenges in biology and medicine, energy, and the environment. Numerous innovations by our faculty and students in electric power generation and transmission, wired and wireless communications, integrated electronics, digital computers, healthcare systems, cellular phones, and Internetbased information technology have fundamentally transformed all aspects of human life. Our staff is critical to enabling our school and department to accomplish their mission.
The Electrical Engineering (EE) Department is seeking applicants for the position of Academic Affairs and Programs Administrator, whose primary roles will be to manage course scheduling and the appointment of course assistants and graders for the department, and to oversee the summer REU program. The Academic Affairs and Programs Administrator reports to the EE Director of Student and Academic Services and also works very closely with the EE Associate Chairs for Undergraduate and Graduate Education.
***To be considered for this position, you must submit a resume and a cover letter***
Your responsibilities include:
Department Curriculum Management
- Department lead for all matters related to course scheduling from strategic planning to data input, working closely with the chair of the department’s Academic Affairs Committee (AAC)
- Provide advice and information on best practices to the Academic Affairs Committee. This includes matters relating to guest instructors, course offerings and conflicts, new course proposals, degree program requirements, Summer Session and SCPD course offerings, WIM and introductory seminar courses, etc.
- Work with faculty, AAC and the SCPD Office to assign classrooms appropriate to courses being offered
- Construct Time Schedule for each quarter via PeopleSoft and CourseLeaf/CPS CLSS
- Coordinate course assistant evaluations for the department
- Update and maintain published EE course listings in the Stanford Bulletin and ExploreCourses
- Serve as main department contact for all room scheduling
Management of Non-Professorial Teaching Appointments including Course Assistantships and Graders
- Manage the appointment of course/teaching assistants and graders every quarter
- Work closely with the Associate Chair for Graduate Education on strategic planning on all matters pertaining to course/teaching assistants, graders and budgeting
- Recruit and appoint all teaching fellows for summer quarter and during the academic year when needed
- Oversee appointments for guest instructors and collaborate with EE HR staff
- Hire, train and supervise the department’s Graduate Student Advisor
- Work closely with the Graduate Student Advisor to develop, staff and oversee the department’s quarterly CA Orientation and pedagogical seminars
- Collaborate with the Bing Overseas Study Office to recruit and appoint the Kyoto Teaching Fellow
- Manage/update the department’s Curricular Practical Training database each quarter
Undergraduate Research Program and Summer Session Program Coordination
- Coordinate the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program including recruitment of faculty projects and students
- Develop and oversee REU seminars, workshops and team building activities for the professional development of REU students
- Recruit, train and supervise student workshop coordinator
- Collaborate with the UAR, EE’s Finance Manager and SNF and SNL lab administrators to maintain REU budget
- Manage and coordinate summer course offerings and the summer budget with the SCPD office, the Registrar’s Office, and the Summer Session office
Other duties may also be assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- A four-year college degree and two years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Expert knowledge of MS Office Suite, web navigation and research
- Experience working with a diverse group of faculty, students, and staff is preferred
- Experience with Stanford procedures and systems, including PeopleSoft and CourseLeaf/CPS CLSS
- Ability to sustain a high level of service under pressure and changing priorities
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, and discretion
- Ability to learn new software applications quickly
Why Stanford University is for you:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, is one of the world’s leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 that is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
How to apply:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit both a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer services and provide examples of your related experience.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Thank you for your interest!