Associate Director, Global Experiences
Job Code: 7503
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The MBA Program at the Stanford Graduate School of Business is seeking an Associate Director to join the Global Experiences team. The Associate Director manages the Global Management Immersion Experience (GMIX) program which provides opportunities for MBA students to develop cultural understanding and gain international work experience in an area of the world new to them by completing a minimum four-week project with a sponsoring organization. The Associate Director (AD) also advises student leadership teams for the Global Study Trips program.
Reporting to the Director, Global Experiences, the Associate Director manages the full lifecycle of the GMIX program from creating a pipeline of sponsoring organizations and conducting business outreach through project posting to student offers/acceptances, academic deliverables, and completion of the projects. Responsibilities include:
- Conducting business development and project sourcing: developing deep knowledge of top geographies, industries, and organizations of interest to MBA students and building on this knowledge by conducting outreach (through meetings, phone calls, written communication/emails, and potentially one international outreach trip annually) with 250+ organizations each year to source projects.
- Advising MBA students: coaching students interested in GMIX projects, educating them about the professional and cultural knowledge-building opportunities, providing interview, cover letter, and negotiation advice, and strategizing with them about potential self-sourced opportunities.
- Program Management: manages all business process operations, including the project application system, program evaluation and analysis, and student stipend disbursement.
The Ideal candidate has passion for the program’s mission and for working with people, as well as maturity, intelligence, sound judgment, and outstanding written communication and oral presentation skills. A global perspective and a strong understanding of key international companies, multilateral institutions, and international development organizations are critical. Student advising and coaching experience is highly valued, particularly in higher education. Exceptional interpersonal skills and professionalism in dealing with a wide range of constituents including MBA students, faculty, alumni, GSB departments, and business executives are needed to succeed in complex relationship management problem-solving with a strong customer-focused orientation. The candidate should have exceptional project management skills, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
Administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using expert technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Manage an area or program in student services, analyze effectiveness, and make final decisions on program eligibility.
- Engage in critical analysis of student, sponsor and broader program concerns to resolve substantial issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Develop and implement programming, make strategic recommendations for future programs.
- Evaluate and determine recommendations on technology resources, negotiate with resources options and vendors, including the implementation and ongoing use of job posting and application systems in coordination with the Career Management Center.
- Analyze and develop report requirements, portals, and student facing communications.
- Manage outreach programs, relationships with external community and university liaisons, including growing and maintaining relationships with senior business leaders at current and prospective sponsoring organizations as well as establishing collaborative relationships across the GSB and Stanford.
- Provide direct advice to students on a range of issues including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions. This person should thrive on coaching and advising students on career development and intercultural awareness and learning.
- Apprise students of financial stipend opportunities.
- Interpret and implement university policy related to academic policies; oversee the implementation of policies and practices for a student population or school.
- Manage financial processes and development of budgets.
- Oversee key processes, including contribution and direction on policy and program content.
- Provide consulting advice to internal and external organizations; act as subject matter expert in a specialized field.
- Direct the work of other staff; contribute to development of staff training programs.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and at least five years of work experience, preferably in an international relationship management setting.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to review and analyze complex information.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite (Gmail, calendar, drive, docs, groups).
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience; Salesforce CRM experience preferred.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Experience in an academic environment or client services experience preferred
- MBA or MA in international education or related field strongly preferred
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.