Researcher, Nuclear/Mechanical Engineering
Organization Name Temp Researcher Internal Fund
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
The Nuclear Technology Center (NTC) at Khalifa University of Science and Technology, UAE, is currently seeking a Post-Doctoral Fellow to join the research team working in nuclear systems & safety theme within this Nuclear Research Center.
The main role of the candidate will be:
- To develop numerical modeling and CFD simulations for nuclear power plants severe accidents scenarios (e.g. Core overheating and melt pool formation in the lower plenum of the reactor vessel),
- To support the department faculty in their activities,
- Assist with the supervision of graduate students during their MSc and PhD theses.
Applicants should have (or about to obtain) a PhD in the area of Nuclear/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent. Prior experience in computational fluid dynamics using one of the commercial codes such as Star-CD, Star-CCM+ or open source codes such as Code_Saturne and OpenFoam is essential. Knowledge on fluid-structure interaction analysis and/or multi-phase flows is advantageous. Well-developed written and oral communication skills are essential.
This is full-time 18 months initial appointment with the possibility of renewal based on; performance, needs, and continuation of funding for up to three years. Competitive salary + benefits are available
- Conduct a safety analysis of the nuclear reactor.
- Develop/improve models and CFD predictions for single- and two-phase flows within the pressured reactor vessel.
- Perform CFD transient and steady simulations for complex flows usually encountered in nuclear related applications.
PhD in the area of Nuclear/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Candidates with prior experience in computational fluid dynamics using one of the commercial codes such as Star-CD, Star-CCM+ or open source codes such as Code_Saturne and OpenFoam is essential.
- Must be proficient with a high-level programming language such as FORTRAN or C/C++.
- Knowledge on fluid-structure interaction analysis and/or multi-phase flows is advantageous.
- Must be proficient with using the Linux/Unix shell environment.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively in a diverse and multi-disciplinary academic and research environment
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae)?