Animal Ethics Chair
3 days left
- Full Time
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. La Trobe University turned 50 in 2017, and over the half century of its existence it has established a reputation as an innovative and accessible university, willing to take risks and take on challenges. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
La Trobe University is seeking an independent Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) Chair. The AEC Chair assists the university to respect and protect the welfare of animals used for scientific purpose, to minimize harm or unjust use of animals, and to ensure the use of animals has scientific or educational merit. The AEC chair must assist members to apply the governing principles set out in the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes (8th edition, 2013), and relevant La Trobe policies and procedures, to review research and teaching proposals to ensure that the care and use of animals for scientific purposes is ethical and justified, and to monitor animal use
To be considered for this position you must (see the attached position description for further details):
- Have current/recent research experience with laboratory and/or wildlife animals and/or AEC committee experience (preference will be given to candidates external to La Trobe University and/or who are independent of the care and use of animals for scientific purposes).
- Have the ability to interpret and direct the University to act appropriately according to legislation and policy
- Have an ability to review large proposals within short time timeframes
- Possess effective interpersonal skills
- Possess high standards of integrity
In this position you will be required to:
- Chair and contribute to (at least) monthly Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) meetings
- Chair weekly AEC Executive meetings
- Conduct yearly AEC inspection of La Trobe licensed facilities across all campuses
- The chair will receive remuneration commensurate with Academic or Professional salary level to compensate for the time required to chair the meetings and perform AEC executive duties.
Enquires & Applications
- Submit cover letter outlining your relevant skill and experience by Sunday 18 November 2018.
Dr Heidi Gaulke
Manager Ethics, Integrity & Biosafety
La Trobe University
+ 61 3 9479 1748
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the SAGE Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.