Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Seismological Laboratory seeks an Assistant Scientist who will carry out analysis of network seismic data for the interpretation of both natural and anthropogenic seismicity trends. They will use existing large data sets and apply state-of-the-art machine learning techniques in collaboration with both Caltech scientists and scientists in the Pasadena office of the USGS. They will prepare their work for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals and, when appropriate, present the work at scientific meetings.
- Carry out detailed analysis of existing seismic data sets.
- Use state-of-the-art analysis methods to locate and characterize seismic activity.
- Meet and collaborate with Caltech and USGS scientists.
- Prepare completed work for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Participate in seminars on the Caltech campus.
- Travel to and attend scientific meetings when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with 4-6 years of relevant scientific research experience.
- Complete understanding of earthquake seismic analysis.
- Ability to use all of the normal seismic analysis packages.
- PhD in Geophysics.
- Ability to collaborate with the use of state-of-the-art machine learning methods to determine the characteristics of earthquakes in large data sets.
- Familiarity with seismic node data.