Senior Automation Engineer
The Office of Information Technology department of System & Service Infrastructure (SSI) at Duke University is seeking a Senior Analyst to be part of the Automation team.This automation effort will focus on streamlining internal processes to provide faster delivery of services for our customers while improving the efficiencies of the OIT staff. The position will be required to utilize 3rd party software and existing IT support tools (Ex. ServiceNow, VMWare, Splunk, etc), as well as creating custom code to link these tools and create additional functionality. The chosen candidate will work closely and collaborate with many colleagues across OIT to deliver solutions to improve the efficiency of OIT. In addition to creating new solutions, it will be key for these solutions to be reliable and supportable both today as well in the future.
A pragmatic approach to system development, systems administration, experience working with development teams, good communication skills, and broad exposure to the IT industry.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
- The person serving in this role will:
- Team with existing OIT technical primes and existing automation developers to identify and implement automation solutions. These solutions will spread across all areas of IT, focused on improving the customer experience and improving the efficiency of the OIT staff.
- Effectively use existing open source projects and services and current, proprietary systems in use at Duke.
- Efficiently prototype and deploy systems that automate provisioning of a broad array of IT services
- Possess proven design and debugging skills
- Write end-user documentation for non-technical staff and bridge the gap between systems engineers, network engineers, software developers and automation engineers.
- Interact with developers, researchers, and staff inside of OIT as well as from University and Health System departments.
- The role requires working well as a team member, with people who are technically and computationally astute and who are not, though have knowledge of other areas important to an infrastructure or a scholarly project. Communication skills are essential, both within the team and beyond it, into the Office of Information Technology and the University. The person serving in the role will frequently call upon written and oral communication skills in the conduct of work.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- The person serving in the role should have a high level understanding of major components of a large IT enterprise, including concepts of networking, virtualization, storage, monitoring, security, identity management, application development methods, documentation, development of APIs, and workflows relating to provisioning of various IT services. The person serving in this role will possess a deep understanding and hands-on experience with specific technologies used in integration and automating provisioning, configuration, and maintenance of whole infrastructures. Expertise in scripting and coding skills in common languages is a requirement. Familiarity with a broad range of scripting and programming languages is also required.
- The person serving in the role will possess superior problem solving skills and be able to clarify technical issues relating to a desired outcome in automating IT services of all kinds. The person will have personal qualities that add to the depth of competence and intelligence of the development teams at the Office of Information Technology. Extensive experience as a System Administrator with a large scale enterprise-wide environments including designing, coding, and supporting internally developed scripts, software, and tools used to improve efficiencies.
- The person serving in this role will possess the ability to not only integrate & develop automation tools, but to be able to determine where such tools can have the greatest impact to efficiencies and customer improvements.
- Required: BS in a quantitative field such as computer science, statistics, mathematics, data sciences.
- Preferred: Advanced degree is desirable. Advanced training in specific areas, technical or not, are an indicator of intellectual ability and curiosity.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Required: A progressive record of accomplishment in technical and computational areas, including such areas as computational research and development, systems development, systems administration and “DevOps,” and/or web and application development.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
Requisition Number: 401251831
Duke Entity: CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code: 2426 ANALYST,IT, SR
Job Family Level : D
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req: ID89162BR