ABOUT RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. R&DE has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. R&DE comprises 1100+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP), Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and Strategic Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
This position will provide custodial support for Stanford’s Hospitality & Auxiliaries facilities. S/he will be responsible for cleaning, organizing and maintaining an assigned area.
- Organize and maintain all equipment and chemicals and maintained MSDA manual on cleaning chemicals.
- Understand how to prepare and use all chemicals and maintained MSDA manual on cleaning chemicals.
- Clean are variety of floors and floor coverings
- Clean, scrub, sweep, pick up, wipe, wash, dust, polish all common interior/exterior areas including walls, handrails, fixtures, woodwork, ceilings, furniture, light fixtures, appliances, picture frames, mirrors, water fountains, switch covers, and shelving.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms, shower rooms, laundry rooms, and locker areas.
- Report to management all emergencies damages, fixtures/furniture losses, maintenance needs, equipment repairs and safety issues.
- Clean windows and doors in the designated upper floor interior windows and first floor exterior and interior windows are required.
- Clean kitchenette. Remove and relocate dishes from customer to designated area. Clean exterior and interior of stove, refrigerator, sink, counter tops, cabinets and drawers.
- Provide full service support for summer programs including but not limited to: clean guest rooms, make bed with clean linen, and provide towels for bathroom.
- Perform a variety of labor related tasks. Move and set up furniture for special events; replace light bulbs, replace vacuum cleaner bags and belts, pick up and deliver newsletters, flyers, perform periodic inspections, and various other tasks required in the event of an emergency.
- Perform light maintenance work such as simple painting, replace washer in faucets, clean out and/or plunge drains and use water removal equipment in the event of flooding.
- Provide information by demonstrating cleaning techniques, equipment and cleaning chemicals to new and seasonal temporary employees.
- Clean Residential Fellow apartments. Provide general cleaning tasks
- Responsible for insuring that the key rings are secure at all times and checked in at the end of each shift.
- Responsible for adhering to all safety guidelines and procedures; must wear safety gear in performing tasks such as wearing safety glasses, gloves, and protective clothing when appropriate.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Work area are in and outside of Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries facilities
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Commercial cleaning chemicals
- Commercial cleaning supplies
- Cleaning equipment (vacuum, mop, broom, rake, blower and power-wash machines)
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
(Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform essential functions):
- This position is considered moderately to highly physical, and requires a lot of standing, bending, lifting and walking. Approximately 95% of time is spent standing or moving around work area, and approximately 5% of time is spent working at a desk, or sitting
- The ability to lift and carry up to twenty-five (25) pounds on a regular basis is necessary for transporting supplies and goods.
- The ability to stoop, kneel, carry, ascend/descend stairs, climb ladder, push and pull on a regular basis.
- Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with co-workers and students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Good written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and cooperatively with co-workers, students, other departments, and management on a daily basis.
- Wears protective equipment and clothing as needed
- Wears clean and presentable uniform daily
- The ability to learn and apply safe work practices, including hazardous waste management and handling, injury and illness prevention program, confined space procedures and safe chemical practices
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to motivate self and to work professionally with co-workers.
- Demonstrates ability to originate constructive and appropriate action to achieve results.
- Ability to follow through on tasks to completion in a timely manner
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain a service attitude and approach to students and other customers.
- Demonstrates good attendance, neatness, punctuality, accuracy, and personal hygiene.
- Must be able to read, write and understand and take direction in English
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One year of cleaning, Custodial/Janitorial experience or equivalent combination of education and experience – Required.
- Ability to bend, stoop, load, carry, ascend/descend stairs, climb ladder, push and pull.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to operate tools and use cleaning chemicals according to safe work practices
- Must be able to work variable shifts and overtime at different locations
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license