Assistant Librarian I (Access Services)
City University of Hong Kong is a dynamic, fast-growing university that is pursuing excellence in research and professional education. As a publicly-funded institution, the University is committed to nurturing and developing students’ talents and creating applicable knowledge to support social and economic advancement.
Applications are invited for:
Assistant Librarian I (Access Services)
Library [Ref. B/193/09]
The Run Run Shaw Library of City University of Hong Kong is seeking a knowledgeable, energetic, creative and self-motivated professional to plan, manage and oversee a wide range of activities and operation of the Access Services Section in support of the teaching, learning and research activities of the University community in a dynamic academic environment.
Duties : The appointee will be responsible for the development and delivery of the Library’s access services. As Head of the Access Services Section, s/he will oversee the processes and workflows of Access Services to support users’ access to the Library’s collection, services and facilities as well as to ensure a well-managed physical environment conducive to study and research.
The appointee will be required to:
- Plan and manage the operation of the Access Services Section including, but not limited to, counter services, course reserve services, stack management, patron registration, fines and lost book billing, issuance of overdue and recall notices, document delivery and HKALL services;
- Formulate and enhance circulation regulations and policies to facilitate users’ access to library materials within the Library and at its remote storage;
- Supervise, train and deploy subordinate staff to ensure the smooth operation of Access Services Section;
- Resolve major problems relating to access services and operations;
- Participate in the Library’s Collection Development Working Group in reviewing and evaluating Library resources, and assist to liaise with academic departments on collection development issues;
- Participate in promoting the Library collections and services using different means and channels;
- Oversee the management of user study areas within the Library and at its remote storage;
- Participate in the space planning of the Library;
- Participate in Library committees and working groups as well as represent the Library in JULAC Access Services Committee and task forces as need arises; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- A good honours degree in relevant disciplines plus a recognized postgraduate degree in Library Science/Information Science (or equivalent);
- At least 5 years' post-qualification working experience with supervisory role, preferably in an academic library setting;
- Good planning and leadership skills, with the ability to organize work efficiently and prioritize tasks effectively;
- Ability to work independently, with a positive and self-motivated attitude in collaborating with others in teams and projects;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good command of written and spoken English and Chinese;
- Demonstrable professionalism with strong motivation, innovation, flexibility and commitment; and
- Working experience in access services, significant overseas/non-local working experience, experience in working with Alma integrated library system and Primo discovery platform preferred.
(Those who have responded to the previous advertisement in July/August 2018 need not re-apply.)
Salary and Conditions of Service
Remuneration package will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract; fringe benefits include gratuity, leave, medical and dental schemes, and housing benefits (where applicable).
Information and Application
Further information on the post and the University is available at http://www.cityu.edu.hk, or from the Human Resources Office, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong [Email : email@example.com/ Fax : (852) 2788 1154 or (852) 3442 0311].
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. Personal data provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes.
Worldwide recognition ranking 55th, and 5th among top 50 universities under age 50 (QS survey 2019); 1st in Engineering/Technology/Computer Sciences in Hong Kong (ARWU survey 2016); and 2nd Business School in Asia-Pacific region (UT Dallas survey 2017).