Medical Laboratory Technician
Working part-time 3rd shift every other weekend from 11pm - 7:30am, Friday and Saturday. Holidays required as needed.
Perform routine waived and moderate complexity tests in a clinical laboratory for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease.
- Perform routine tests in clinical laboratories for use in the
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. software. treatment and diagnosis of disease using standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and using manual and automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests.
- Prepare sterile media in plates, jars or test tubes for use in growing bacterial cultures; incubate culture for specific times at prescribed temperatures.
- Understand and comply with laboratory Quality Control and Quality Assurance policies and procedures for instrumentation and testing.
- Prepare solutions, reagents and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Maintain detailed records of tests performed and report laboratory test results to appropriate personnel; recognize Quality Control shifts and trends and take appropriate action whenever necessary.
- Calibrate and perform routine maintenance on test equipment, clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, glassware and instruments, maintain laboratory supply of chemicals and glassware; perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Collect blood specimens from patients using venipuncture, or heel or finger stick; carry out Point-of- Care Testing waived tests and urinalysis without microscope
- Utilize various hospital and laboratory information systems and Interact in a professional and courteous manner with doctors, nurses, and other personnel to provide technical guidance and address concerns.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical employees. setting, strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology
- Working knowledge of laboratory and hospital computer systems is helpful
- Basic knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge, and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others
- Act as the PIC(person in charge aka General Supervisor in the absence of the Supervisor/Manager/Tech III) after attaining 1 yr of high complexity laboratory experience post scientific baccalaureate degree or 2 years high complexity experience post scientific associate degree.
- Provide daily supervision and/or oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results.
- Provide direct supervision of all high complexity testing.
- Monitor testing to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Responsibilities delegated from the director or technical supervisor include: Assure remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications
- Ensure that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly
Requisition Number 401515496
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4098 MEDICAL LAB TECHNICIAN I
Job Family Level D1
Full Time / Part Time PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
AS, AD or BS Degree or previous classification as non-certified medical technologist.
None required beyond education/training requirement. Alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience. MLT with <4 years experience.Non-Cert Medical technologist (meeting CLIA requirements).
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Certification by a nationally recognized agency/board or eligible, orCLIA 1988 grandfathered.
Auto req ID 106680BR