This job opening is for a Temporary Float RN position within the Central Staffing Resource Department (CSR) and services University Hospital PACU / PREOPERATIVE HOLDING
Wage: $55.00/hr. base rateEvening Shift Differential is $5.00 per hourNight Shift Differential is $ 3.00 per hourWeekend Differential is $5.00 per hour
The CSR Temp Registered Nurse in PACU/Preoperative Holding must demonstrate competency in the following areas. Competency is assessed using the Performance Appraisal Tool (see addendum).
A. Clinical Practice
- Assesses ongoing health care needs in accordance with ASPAN standards.
- Provides, plans, implements, and evaluates nursing care to multiple surgical and other populations receiving anesthesia care (general care, ICU, Interventional radiological, and radiological) consistent with ASPAN standards.
- Documents nursing process according to ASPAN and unit guidelines.
- Organizes and prioritizes patient care appropriately.
- Incorporates family centered philosophy of care into nursing practice.
- Follows hospital policy of medication administration.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, families and staff.
- Demonstrates competency in the following technical skills:
- PCA pump
- Epidural pump
- Medex syringe pump
- Urine HCG pregnancy test
1. Demonstrates a professional relationship with:
- Clinical Nursing Director
- Clinical Nurse Supervisor
- Assistive Personnel
- All other members of the health care team
2. Demonstrates initiative in maintaining current regarding unit policies and operations by reading email on a regular basis
3. Communicates diplomatically and tactfully
4. Demonstrates initiative in resolving interpersonal problems
5. Accepts and utilizes constructive suggestions and expresses disagreement in a positive manner
6. Collaborates with other health care providers in planning, coordinating and implementing patient
7. Maintains privacy and confidentiality of all patients and families
- Demonstrates knowledge of unit and ASPAN standards of care.
- Recognizes staffing needs and contributes to the smooth functioning of the unit.
- Participates in identifying problems and in planning and implementing strategies to improve patient care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the different nursing assistant roles and delegates appropriately.
- Demonstrates knowledge of unit quality improvement program and actively participates.
- Demonstrates participation in unit educational offerings.
- Attends staff meetings and in-services or views the videotapes.
- Demonstrates productive use of unstructured time.
- Demonstrates adherence to unit personnel policies.
- Completes mandatories/competencies on time.
NOTE: This job opening # 159053 replaces job # 158552.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. * Please note that these positions do not qualify for UMHS benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level. These positions are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union.If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Two (2) or more years recent PACU / PREOPERATIVE HOLDING RN experience.
- ACLS certification is required.
- Knowledge of multiple surgical procedures is necessary.
- Ability to float to all units within the UH PACU domain.
- Demonstrated ability to handle stress, conflict and resolution.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, with the ability to work as a team member
- Demonstrated competence in at least two of the services housed in our unit
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants): You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.NOTE:Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
- BSN preferred
- CPAN, CAPA certification or both is desirable.
- Emergency Department and/or ICU experience is desirable.
- Demonstrated flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with an interdisciplinary health care team.
- Demonstrated positive verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated positive attitude
- Demonstrated team player skills
- Demonstrated accountability and dependability.
- Demonstrates expertise in communication and problem solving skills within all levels of the health care team, as evidenced by interviews, documentation, writing skills, and references.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere utilizing effective delegation skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates accountability/dependability as evidenced by completion of mandatories and unit based competencies within an established time frame.
- Experience floating to multiple units
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospital nursing policies and practice.
- Demonstrates participation in continuous quality improvement process with documented results.
- Experience with family centered care philosophy
- Takes initiative in seeking professional growth.
*Commitment is 24 hours per 4 week scheduling block*Shifts: Day/Evening and Night shifts are available; Hours: As needed by unitLocation: UH PACU
- Expected to float to like units where competent and qualified
- Inability to work for (3) months consecutively leads to automatic termination from employment
- No guarantee of work at any time. Shifts can and sometimes will be cancelled.
- At least a portion of the availability must be during non-day shifts
TEMPORARY FLOAT NURSE GUIDELINES1). All CSR employees are required to attend an annual educational Blitz to complete required UM mandatories and compentencies (BCLS every 2 yrs, Cardiac Arrest and maintain all other applicable certifications).2). Temporary Float Nurses are expected to work all shifts requested unless no work is available. It is the intention that all Temps will float to all units within the cluster speciality. 3). A Temporary Nurse should work 24 hours per 4 week schedule block. You may request four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12) hours shifts in advance. 4.) Temporary Nurses in the CSR Clusters are NOT required to work weekends or holidays.5). Temporary Nurses will participate in a newly designed, streamlined, onboarding/orientation program. However, the progression of orientation will be dependent upon clinical competency, staffing needs of the individual units, and the number of hours worked by the Temporary RN.
This temporary position may meet eligibility requirements for health care benefits.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.