- Ensures all menu items are prepared for the Hearth and Greens, Grains, & Soup (GGS) Stations for lunch and dinner service by 10:50am.
- Prepares meat entree for the station as well as meats necessary for Sandwiches.
- Coordinates prep with Cooks and Food Service workers to make sure all other items are completed.
- Ensures all entrees and sides are batch cooked throughout the meal period so they maintain a fresh look on the line. All entrees and sides must have a garnish.
- Maintains a clean kitchen at all times. Only items being prepped or in use are on counters. Cold items are stored in coolers as soon as possible.
- Ensures walk-in, roll-in, and reach-in coolers in the kitchen are properly maintained.
- Product must be labeled, dated, and stored properly. Dry stock may be put away after the lunch rush if necessary.
- Coordinates temperature collection of food items on the provided worksheets.
- Coordinates prep for the following 2 days.
- Communicates equipment and culinary concerns to the Manager.
- Completes other tasks assigned by Management staff.
- Management reserves the right to edit and repost job duties to fit the needs of the operation.
Two (2) years food preparation experience including the preparation of entrees, sauces, soups, salads, sides, starches and desserts in a high volume food production kitchen or restaurant; experience as a short order cook.ServSafe and HACCP certified within 60 days from date of hire as a condition of employment. If the certification is not acquired during the 60-day period, employment will be terminated. Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment. Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills including the ability to convey and exchange information accurately, understand and respond promptly to questions and need for clarification, and accurately follow written instructions.Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service skills including the ability to interact with guests.Ability to follow standardized recipes and portioning; ability to utilize resources responsibly, and to recognize and minimize food waste.Move and transport objects weighing 30 - 50 lbs. Maintain a static position for extended periods of time while preparing food. Able to move quickly throughout the kitchen and dining hall as needed.Experience in estimating consumption levels and generating prep lists.Experience in developing and enhancing the culinary skills of kitchen staff.Proven organizational abilities as they apply to food production work areas, and including ability to prioritize work to provide timely meal service.
Degree in Culinary Arts from an accredited culinary school or apprenticeship program.Two (2) years food preparation experience in a high volume food production kitchen or restaurant.Experience providing leadership of a quality oriented work team.Experience in recipe development.
Department: Michigan Dining - Catering
Hourly pay rate: $20.58 - $21.11
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
U-M EEO/AA Statement