Director of Public Safety
7 days left
- Full Time
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and reference information via the U-M job posting system. Please upload your cover letter and credentials as part of one document.
The Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) invites applications for the position of Chief of Police on the U-M Dearborn campus. This position is responsible for providing a safe campus environment for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors. We are seeking experienced candidates with demonstrated leadership and collaborative communication skills. This position will be responsible for leading, planning, and managing all administrative and operational functions for a full-service police and public safety department.
The position reports to the DPSS Executive Director and works closely with the Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs at UM-Dearborn to implement best practices for police and public safety in a university environment. Core responsibilities for this role include: management of University resources, leadership in the prevention of crime and incidents, management of police and public safety personnel, implementation of community policing principles, and utilization of emergency management planning and training. The selected candidate will have demonstrated leadership experience working with external law enforcement agencies.
- Plan, develop and implement short and long-term safety and security objectives, in alignment with UM-Dearborn Administration and DPSS strategic objectives
- Provide leadership and management for campus-wide police, security, and safety programs to include training and preparedness for the police and public safety teams; crime prevention and investigation of accidents, injuries, and criminal acts; and threat assessment and mitigation implementation
- Provide financial management oversight and stewardship for public safety services including development and implementation of annual budgets
- Serve as liaison to external law enforcement agencies and public safety colleagues at other campuses
- Further a strong partnership with the campus Director of Emergency Management, Business Affairs leaders, and the University's senior leadership team by planning, training, and responsiveness to urgent, emergency events, and business continuity interruptions
- Direct and implement police and public safety planning, procedures, and training related to emergency preparedness, with special attention given to emergency communications
- Provide law enforcement advice, support, and information to key leaders regarding public safety policy and procedures that impact our campus and departments
- Ensure optimal staffing and scheduling that best supports the University and campus events
- Maintain strong relationships with local (including police and fire) and federal law enforcement agencies
- Plan for and ensure training programs are completed including technical, leadership and staff engagement programs
- Prepare and present formal and informal security briefings to University staff and campus community
- Create a positive, supportive environment for staff, through clear vision, direction, and positive leadership techniques
- Benchmark and implement efficient and team-based models of productivity with a deep commitment to safety and service
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong demonstrated leadership ability, collaborative decision making, and enthusiasm for teamwork, communication, and high performance
- Excellent team-building skills with the ability to create a strategic vision and motivate others
- Demonstrated commitment to community and service-oriented policing
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, including the ability to be persuasive and successfully relate to a variety of groups inside and outside of the University
- Proven commitment to working collaboratively across all levels and ability to build and maintain strong relationships with key partners
- Extensive working knowledge of law enforcement operations, facility security, crime prevention, criminal investigations, training, fire prevention, emergency preparedness, traffic safety, and enforcement
- Demonstrated working knowledge of local, state, and federal laws (Clery Act, Higher Education Opportunity Act, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), and their application to higher education.
- Ability to balance the needs of a complex educational institution and law enforcement
- Ability to lead and communicate in a timely manner during crisis and emergency
- Ability to be the campus spokesperson in an emergency situation
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities
- At least eight years of progressively responsible leadership and management experience in law enforcement
- A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to obtain clearance classification (secret/top secret) through the United States Department of Homeland Security and MCOLES certification
- Working knowledge of office technology e.g. Google Apps, MS Office Suite, law enforcement reporting systems
**This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a background investigation, psychological evaluation, physical examination, and drug screening**
- More than 10 years of progressively responsible leadership and management experience in law enforcement and security
- A master’s degree is preferred
- Successful completion of police staff and command, FBI National Academy, or equivalent
- Experience working in higher education or other similar environments
As one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan, U-M Dearborn is a top-tier regional public university with more than 9,400 students, a strong faculty and staff, and a beautiful 200-acre campus located between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Capital projects have transformed our campus, as we now have 22 buildings totaling approximately 1.5 million square feet of property. The campus has two locations: main campus of approximately 180 acres and our Fairlane Center campus located approximately a half mile from the main campus. Additionally, we have a 600-bed private housing development across from our campus.
The UM-Dearborn Police Department is focused on furthering community policing, training and preparedness, excellence and inclusion. The successful candidate will join a team of dedicated and talented safety and security professionals.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.