Provide focused, quality care to patients and families within specific clinical content areas. Work as a nurse member of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team in a busy clinic setting. Assist with diagnostic/therapeutic procedures as necessary. Provide patient and family education specific to systemic therapies such as chemotherapy and symptom management for on-treatment patients and follow-up patients.
- Accountable for the management of patient care for hematology and oncology patient population.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to recognize and solve patient problems.
- Utilizes the nursing process and nursing standards to prevent or manage actual/potential patient problems related to their disease and /or treatment.
- Identifies patient /family learning needs and ensures that they are met.
- Serves as a patient advocate. Assists with care coordination between multiple departments.
- Works with the various Cancer Center associates to ensure patients are scheduled appropriately.
- Reviews chemotherapy orders for accuracy and able to image documents appropriately.
- Able to prioritize urgent medical issues, clinic flow, administrative tasks.
Communication and Respect:
- Maintains a highly professional and positive attitude regardless of workload and stress level.
- Inputs, retrieves and interprets data from multiple manual and computer based information systems.
- Responds to voice mail communication with the patients. Competent with telephone triage related to patient calls.
- Exhibits professional and verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Able to delegate effectively and follow through appropriately and efficiently.
- Utilizes time in an efficient manner by completing assigned duties.
- Performs procedures in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Completes all other clinical and administrative duties as assigned.
- Implement change to achieve team goals.
- Seeks opportunities to meet individual objectives identified on the Professional Development Model
- Uses organizational skills to assure that safe, efficient care to the patient.
- Uses organizational skills to assure continuity of care in collaboration with other disciplines through appropriated planning, education and coordination of services.
- Delegates to other health care team members according to the Nurse Practice Act.
- Collaborates with medical staff to facilitate and optimize the care of the patient.
Research and Quality Improvement:
- Acts on behalf of patients and family to ensure care that is safe and appropriate with consideration for values, diversity and human rights.
- Participates in nursing and medical research and facilitates transfer of new knowledge to patient care.
- Familiarity with clinical research, protocols, study drug administration and monitoring.
- Participates in the Quality Improvement Process.
The University of Michigan Health System is a Magnet recognized health care facility, and has received a #5 national ranking and a #1 state ranking from US News and World Report best hospitals, 2018-19.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:This UMPNC RN posting is posted as Nursing Framework LEVEL C.Actual Nursing Framework LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.Nursing Framework levels range from Level A to Level F.Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
A current licensure as a Registered Nurse to practice in the State of Michigan
Three (3) or more years of RN experience
Two (2) or more years of Oncology RN experience
Demonstrated critical thinking skills to cross cover within clinical areas, coordinate and perform multiple activities and problem solve as measured by interview, references and performance evaluations.
Demonstrated ability to practice independently, set goals, promote teamwork.
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, efficiently, and communicate well with others (including peers) as measured by interview, references and performance evaluations.
Demonstrated abilities in interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and problem solving skills within all levels of the health care team, as evidenced by interviews, documentation, writing skills and references.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants): You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Oncology Ambulatory Care experience
- Possess certification by OCN.
- Recent experience with oncology/hematology, chemotherapy management, patient education and symptom management.
- Proven leadership ability including: initiative and creativity as evidenced by previous employment reference.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills to cross cover within clinical areas, coordinate and perform multiple activities and problem solve as measured by interview, references and performance evaluations.
- Demonstrated ability to practice independently, set goals, promote teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, efficiently, and communicate well with others (including peers) as measured by interview, references and performance evaluations.
- Demonstrated abilities in interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and problem solving skills within all levels of the health care team, as evidenced by interviews, documentation, writing skills and references.
Hours: 40 hours per week (8 hour days)Shift: Day Shift; Monday through Friday, rotating SaturdaysHours will vary; flexibility requiredLocation: Rogel Cancer Center- Maize Team Clinic Float
All new employees will be expected to float to a designated unit (s) in times of low census.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.