Interdisciplinary Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Education-focused
Deputy Vice-Chancellor Education Portfolio
- Opportunity to make significant contributions to interdisciplinary teaching and learning within their School/ Faculty/ Education Enterprise and Engagement Unit
- Full-time/part time, fixed term for 3 years, 11 positions
- Remuneration package: Level B base salary $104kp.a. plus leaving loading and generous superannuation benefits or Level C base salary $127kp.a. plus leaving loading and generous superannuation benefits
About the opportunity
Education-focused is a specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. A Senior Lecturer (Education-focused) is expected to make significant contributions to teaching and learning within their School/ Faculty and engage in educational leadership at School, Faculty or University level. A Senior Lecturer (Education-focused) is expected to dedicate the majority of their contribution to education (up to 70% - or 80% by mutual agreement - of their academic workload allocation).
The positions will be serving in Faculties and Schools below:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Sydney College of Arts, Sydney Conservatorium of Music (3 positions)
- Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering & IT (3 positions)
- The University of Sydney Business School, Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning, Sydney Law School (3 positions)
- Faculty of Medicine and Health, Faculty of Health Sciences (2 positions)
In this position, you will:
- contribute to outstanding educational design, delivery, evaluation and outcomes
- engage in pedagogical research and/or scholarship and applies learnings for improved student outcomes
- actively contribute to the research, education and administrative activities of the discipline/ School/ Faculty/ Enterprise and Engagement unit
- contribute to a positive workplace culture within the School/ Faculty/ Enterprise and Engagement unit.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for an Interdisciplinary Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Education-focused) who possesses:
- PhD in an academic field relevant to the discipline or other higher professional qualifications appropriate to their discipline
- deep and broad experience in teaching and learning, as evidenced by leading team teaching within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings, including interdisciplinary ones
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities.
The DVC Education Portfolio supports the development and implementation of the University’s strategy and vision for teaching and learning and students’ educational experience. The portfolio contributes to institution- wide developments aimed at improving student learning, including the University’s approach to curriculum renewal, new thinking in pedagogy, learning and teaching in analytics, eLearning and quality assurance for learning and teaching. Its primary functions include: professional learning and support for educational excellence and innovation; academic enrichment through curricular and co-curricular programs, and strategic, policy, analytics and administrative support in implementing and monitoring the University’s vision for learning and teaching.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ more than 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm 18 November 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.