Analyst, Information Technology, Network Engineer
Duke University’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) Network Engineering team handles the design, and deep level support of the Duke University data network. The network infrastructure includes the core routers, optical network equipment, building-based switched networks and wireless network. The network engineering team partners with other OIT teams to develop automated provisioning and troubleshooting procedures in use today; monitoring techniques to identify trends or issues; and support teams for client wireless support. From a design perspective, the team is responsible for supporting the academic and research needs of campus through timely upgrades and refreshes, as well as working with the OIT architecture team to identify new approaches to supporting campus network needs. Lastly, the group partners with the IT security office to manage the core network security infrastructure, including firewalls, VPNs, and automated black hole routing.
The successful candidate for the network engineer position is someone who ideally has a network engineering background and is also comfortable with programming tasks. The position will assist in the design, maintenance and troubleshooting of all aspects of the Duke University network, including routers, and building-based switched networks, wireless networks and Internet connectivity. In addition, our network engineers will be responsible for working with the OIT automation teams to identify, implement, and make use of automated solutions for provisioning of network equipment such as edge switches and APs, and alerting when utilizations hit certain defined thresholds. The chosen candidate will work closely and collaborate with many colleagues across OIT and the university to create or support new solutions to improve the efficiency of OIT, as well as maintain and improve existing solutions. In addition to creating new solutions, it will be key for these solutions to be reliable and supportable both today as well in the future.
The ideal candidate will have a background developing software and network administration.
Must have skills:
- Knowledge of Cisco IOS, Nexus and CatOS platforms.
- Experience in managing routing protocols across campus networks.
- Experience troubleshooting problems with network protocols
- Understanding of network security and firewall/VPN management
- Fundamental knowledge of standard networking services and administration
Nice to have skills:
- Programming experience with Ruby, Python, or similar languages
- Experience with one or more of routing protocols including: EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS backbones
- Understanding of relational databases (i.e. MySQL)
- Familiarity with standard API protocols (REST, SOAP)
- Experience with Linux containers
- Graph databases (i.e. Neo4J)
- Familiarity with VMware
Beyond technical knowledge, this positions requires demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member with both technical and non-technical groups, introduce new technology to large organizations, and lead large-scale technical projects to completion.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
- Work closely with other engineers and management to implement plans for changing and improving the LAN, WAN, optical, and wireless data networks. This will include code upgrades, configuration tuning and rationalization, and some hardware installation. Take direction from Sr. Analysts for the implementation of high-level design
- Participate in refresh and upgrade projects, making use of automation tools to deploy new hardware or configurations
- Working with the senior engineers, migrate existing network gear to central systems for maintenance of configurations and settings.
- Assess and update network, subnet, and other configurations to ensure that the configurations are valid and synced both between high-availability pairs, as well as the central tools that manage and maintain network configurations.
- Assist in the development and documentation of technical standards procedures for efficient, consistent network operation.
- Provide 2nd tier support for network systems, including coverage for problems with supported equipment. Respond to such events with appropriate troubleshooting, and problem remediation. Follow-up with any recommendations to change systems or processes to prevent recurrence.
- Support the network operations activities by the OIT Field Services team through cross-training and collaboration opportunities.
- Follow and participate in change management procedures to ensure planning, testing, communications and approvals are in place prior to implementation.
- Able to effectively function in a complex and rapidly changing environment.
- Able to communicate across multiple forms (written, conversational, presentation).
- Able to work with and as part of cross-functional teams across the organization and make use of OIT’s common set of tools and approaches.
- Able to dynamically prioritize work efforts to meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop informal networks within Duke to stay abreast of changes and work in other areas.
- Able to positively and productively interact with customers, ensuring that their needs are understood.
- Self-motivation to tackle observed problems, present recommendations, and complete changes as necessary.
The candidate should have a high-level understanding of major components of a large IT enterprise, including concepts of networking, virtualization, storage, monitoring, security, identity management, application development methods, documentation, development of APIs, and workflows relating to provisioning of various IT services. The candidate will possess strong problem-solving skills and be able to clarify technical issues relating to a desired outcome in network services of all kinds. Expertise in programming or scripting is a huge plus, as automation of network services is a key effort area for us. They will have personal qualities that add to the depth of competence and intelligence of the network and automation teams at the Office of Information Technology.
Required: A BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline (or equivalent combination of education and experience.)
Strongly Desired: Network certification, preferably a minimum of the CCNA or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
Required: At least three years of progressively responsible experience engineering and operating the networks of large, multi-faceted organizations.
Typically in a normal office environment. Weekly work within telecommunications room and data center environments expected. Some of these instances may involve work in small and enclosed spaces. Required to lift up to 50lb on occasion. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Requisition Number 401514534
Duke Entity CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code 2423 ANALYST, IT
Job Family Level C
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID 106567BR