Ambulatory Care Nurse
Independently plan and provide professional nursing care for patients in ambulatory clinic settings in accordance with the medical and nursing plans of care and established policies and procedures. Provide nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
- Ensures patient double identifier independently analyzes and prioritizes patient data collection based on assessment of patient to determine immediate and projected needs. Recognizes abnormal signs/symptoms and intervenes in a timely manner Collaborates with patients, their loved ones and the healthcare team to identify and define outcomes to address patient needs and integrate into patient care Delivers safe patient care Applies the Nursing Process in the care of patients Provides evidence based, clinically competent nursing care in a culturally sensitive manner
- Proactively takes actions to facilitate patient flow, identifies, and resolves barriers. Monitors providers schedule for accuracy in scheduled appointments and/or procedures makes daily reminder calls to patients. Participates in clinic compliance activities Patient Chart audits, charge capture audits and/or performance improvement. Assists with local leadership in achievement of Ambulatory Rounds, Environment of Care, Infection Control or Joint Commission Mock Survey scores of >95% biannually.
- Properly assists in collecting, labeling and logging specimens sent from onsite laboratory to identified laboratory Perform and document daily/monthly. Manages In-Basket for appropriate patient and provider communications per clinic policy Covers In-Basket documentation from clinical group as appropriate Audits In-basket messaging of clinic RMA/CMA. Follows and manages clinic policy regarding use of In-Basket received History Questionnaires Consistently and accurately completes patient medication review and reconciliation as measured by quarterly chart audits Completes medication refill request for providers review. Manages patient telephone calls and questions within clinic specific identified timeframe and within scope of practice. Makes appointment reminder calls daily
- Consistently establishes communication with patients and families by demonstrating and addressing behaviors supportive of patient family centered care. Personal behavior supports unit meeting customer service targets. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships with all team members.
- Maintains compliance with mandatory training initiatives and competencies: BLS, OESO Safety Courses , Annual skills review, Medication updates, Clinic specific competencies, Computer/Maestro Care competencies, LMS Training, SWANK Training, Demonstrates effective interpersonal relationships with co-workers, manager(s) and providers, Identifies personal learning needs and seeks appropriate assistance, Obtains 18 continuing education credits per certifying agency and submits documentation to Health Center Administrator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical nurse and all unlicensed assistive personnel
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing process
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedures
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill patients and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others
- Ability to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area or organization Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Ability to use the computer and learn new software programs
- Ability to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Ability to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds
- Ability to remain focused and organized Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to ambulatory patients Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions Working knowledge and completion of appropriate TJC and other regulatory requirements
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program. All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete the program within five years of their start date.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
Twelve months of appropriate clinical experience is required. At a manager's discretion, employees with 6 months of experience who are exceptional performers may be eligible for this level.
LICENSURE/ CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required.
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must travel between locations on needed basis.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 150 lbs.
- Must be able to carry 30 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
Requisition Number 401515343
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Code 4180 AMBULATORY CARE NURSE II
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree inNursing or Nursing Diploma program.All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (orhigher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program withintwo years of their start date and to complete the program within fiveyears of their start date.
Twelve months of appropriate clinical experience is required. At amanager's discretion, employees with 6 months of experience who areexceptional performers may be eligible for this level.
Auto req ID 106645BR