Administrative Specialist Associate Health
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your CV, along with three references. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Contact:Stephanie L. Laurinec
Department of Emergency Medicine
Division of Critical Care, Administration
Emergency Critical Care Center, Administration
1500 East Medical Center Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 - 5301
Highly motivated individual sought for a full time Events Specialist position within the Department of Emergency Medicine, at Michigan Medicine. The candidate will be a cross-functional team player who effectively plans, manages, and executes logistics for multiple departmental events and will work closely with departmental faculty and staff.
The Events Specialist will be responsible for the planning, managing, designing, and execution of development events including communications with vendors, as well as internal and external customers. The candidate will direct and develop plans for the events and provide direction to departmental staff, university departments and external vendors. The candidate will be responsible for oversight for budget estimates, on-site management of activities and will analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action for each event.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Planning, coordination and leading of event programming (including networking mixers, advisory council meetings, symposiums, presentations, trade shows, educational programs, and others):
- Responsible for concept, budget, promotion, marketing and post-event closeout activities.
- Works with Michigan Medicine and U-M Office of Development to create, plan and execute donor/development events.
- Continually builds, measures and improves event programming based on customer feedback and lessons learned.
- Planning, management, and execution of logistics for Emergency Medicine events, (including conferences, lectures, networking events, and special events).
- Oversee facility selection, contract negotiations, food and beverage selections, audio/visual service, transportation, etc.
- Travel (both domestic and international) will be required for execution and oversight of events.
- Arrange travel and create expense reports for event related services.
- Provide direction for external vendors.
- Responsible for generation, coordination and distribution of invitations, printed programs, name tags, and other promotional materials.
- Monitor and manage list of attendees.
- Research and recommend budget and process improvements.
- Provide budget projections/estimates and reconcile final vendor payments.
- Communicate and be responsible for guest lecturers/participant itineraries, travel and hotel arrangements, etc.
- Communicate details effectively with organizers and guests.
- Arrange travel for employees of Emergency Medicine.
- Provide detailed travel itineraries.
- Facilitate reimbursements for guest, when applicable.
- Manage PCard expenses and budget reconciliation and other financial matters.
- Work with Office of Professional Development on coordination of CME events, including filling out CME form, attaining disclosures, coordinating conference materials, etc...
- Additional work related tasks, not specifically outlined above, will be required of the candidate. Cross training with other staff may also be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field and/or equivalent experience with a minimum of 3-5 years of progressive event experience that emphasizes strategy development, integrated communications and operational support.
- Ability to travel (both domestic and international) will be required for execution and oversight of events.
- Potential candidates must also have a thorough understanding of Internet applications and technologies, and experience interfacing with all levels of teammates/leaders across an organization.
Familiarity with UM Procurement systems. Past experience with event planning, including budget development, account reconciliation, etc...
In additional to the above requirements, desired qualifications also include the following:
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and be customer service focused.
- Excellent project management and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines and changing priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality while working with highly sensitive information and use excellent judgment on a variety of sensitive subjects.
- Experience working with caterers, including menu planning and the monitoring of food quality and service.
- Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications.
- Independence, initiative, and judgment skills.
- Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills.
- Achievement focused work ethic.
- Passion for providing exceptional customer service.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing circumstances.
- Flexibility is work schedule.
- Solid knowledge and familiarity with U-M organization, policies, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Concur, MBox, Trello, Google Docs, etc.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.