How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To perform complex electrical work in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment, fixtures and wiring.
- Fabricate and install control and distribution apparatus, including switches, relays and circuitbreaker panels, fastening them in place with screws or bolts.
- Connect wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment, using handtools.
- Cut, thread, bind and route conduit lines, and pull wire through conduit by means of fish tape.
- Dismantle and repair equipment, replacing defective wires, motor brushes, condensers and burned out fuses.
- Test continuity of electrical circuits in installed or repaired equipment, using electrical measuring instruments.
- Analyze malfunctions of electrical equipment, using ammeter, voltmeter, ohmmeter drawings and visual inspection.
- Perform preventive maintenance activities, including periodic visual inspections, taping frayed or exposed wires and securing loose connections.
- Cut or bore through walls, ceilings or partitions.
- Read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, circuit diagrams and job specifications.
- Prepare records and service reports of materials and time expended.
- Install and operate public address equipment and temporary lines for electrical services.
- Graduation from high school and specialized training in electrical work.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketches and diagrams.
- Considerable knowledge of the equipment, methods and materials involved in electrical work.
- Reasonable knowledge of the maintenance requirements of electrical equipment, fixtures and
- Reasonable manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude.
- Reasonable experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment and devices.
- Must fulfill the necessary requirements to drive a University vehicle.
Ability to use computer, or other electronic devices, for email, communications, report preparation, work order system, and various other reporting tasks.
Sunday - Wednesday
6am - 4:30pm
This selected candidate might be asked to be on-call or work overtime.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the U-M Skilled Trades Union, Inc., which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.