How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Library is one of the world’s largest academic research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to 19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research expenditures approaching $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university’s world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects, preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all existing and emerging forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in the digital age.
The Financial Specialist will work within a financial support group to provide transactional fiscal support to the Michigan Publishing division of the University of Michigan Library. This position will also serve as a consistent partner with the other divisions of the Library by delivering a broad range of financial administrative support for a general fund budget of $58M and more than 500 project grants. This position reports to the Business Manager for Michigan Publishing and will also collaborate closely with the Accounting Supervisor.
The University of Michigan Library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work.
- Process, track, and prepare reports on all transactions related to Michigan Publishing Services and Data Research/Deep Blue
- Initiate and manage all transactional activity with the Shared Services Center (SSC), including accounts payable, accounts receivable, statement of activities/gross pay register reconciliation, travel and expense, weekly cash deposits, service unit billings, and journal entries
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad hoc reports to assist in financial analysis of divisional activity
- Prepare service unit billings to process expense charges to university departments
- Assist with chartfield maintenance including opening/closing new project grants, short codes, maintaining library’s list of funding sources
- Provide assistance in support and administration of library’s sponsored program activity
- Enter and maintain royalty contracts and vendor information in the royalty software system
- Upload various sales report, post payments, and track activity
- Perform tasks related to product management
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of related financial experience or an equivalent amount of experience and education
- Ability to apply fundamental financial concepts, practices and procedures to business needs
- Demonstrated ability to use data analysis to generate accurate financial reports within established timelines
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Demonstrated excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion. Commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization
- Knowledge of travel and expense reporting and reconciliation
- Experience applying financial policies and procedures to support procurement efforts in a college or university environment
- Advance knowledge of Excel
The person in this position occasionally moves through the building to attend meetings/events and access files or information and occasionally ascends/descends short flights of stairs to different floors of the building.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.