Research Assistant/Research Associate/Research Fellow, Centre for Cancer Biology
- Based in the Centre for Cancer Biology
- Full-time, two bioinformatics/genomic analysis vacancies of 1 to 2-years fixed term contract
- Salary range: $67,769 - $114,967 per annum (plus super)
About the Job
The Centre for Cancer Biology (CCB) is an alliance between the University of South Australia and SA Pathology and boasts the largest concentration of fundamental cancer research in the state. The CCB studies the fundamental causes of cancer in order to find new ways to prevent and treat the disease.
The Molecular Pathology Research Laboratory, Department of Genetics and Molecular Pathology undertakes research encompassing screening for and identification of cancer predisposition genes especially for blood cancers (leukemias and lymphomas), identification of novel mutations in genes causing perinatal death, and functional studies to understand the pathobiology of the genetic changes.
The Lymphatic Development Laboratory undertakes research that aims to understand how the lymphatic vascular network is constructed during development and how defects in this process result in human lymphatic disease. The Laboratory is interested in identifying and characterising genes that are important for regulating lymphatic vessel growth, maturation and function.
The bioinformatics group of the CCB is located within the ACRF SA Cancer Genomics Facility as well as CCB’s new laboratories in the Adelaide Biomedical precinct. It is the largest biomedical bioinformatics group in South Australia, consisting of approx. 15 staff members and students. Group members are physically co-located, but are employed through and work with individual CCB research groups, the Genomics Facility or SA Pathology’s diagnostic arm.
We are seeking a bioinformatician, to work on joint research projects of the Molecular Pathology and Lymphatic Development Laboratories. The position will involve analysis of RNASeq, ChIPSeq, ATACSeq, HiC,WES and WGS data. We are also seeking someone with skills primarily in genome data analysis and interpretation.
As the Research Assistant/Research Associate, you will contribute to grant-funded research under the broad direction of the Head of the Laboratory to achieve defined objectives and test stated hypotheses.
As the Research Fellow, you will implement and conduct high quality scientific research and report on research outcomes in line with research goals and milestones of the Laboratory, facilitating collaboration and translation of research findings.
Skills and Experience
Research Assistant (level ARA)/Research Associate (level ARAS)
- To be eligible, you will have an Honours degree for level ARA or a post-graduate qualification for level ARAS in genetics and/or bioinformatics and/or statistics and/or computational science and/or developmental biology and/or immunology related disciplines.
- You will also have competency in recording, analysing, presenting and disseminating research to stakeholders including the preparation of papers for high quality publications or posters for conference presentations - amongst other criteria as listed in the position description.
Research Fellow (level BRF)
- To be eligible, you will have a PhD in genetics and/or bioinformatics and/or statistics and/or computational science and/or developmental biology and/or immunology related disciplines.
- You will also have experience, as judged by grants and publications, in relevant areas of research and a substantial knowledge of laboratory procedures relevant to the research project/s – amongst other criteria as listed in the position description.
To be successful in both the roles, you will have high level of interpersonal, communications and organisational skills along with knowledge of scientific terminology relevant to the research project.
A University of Enterprise
The University of South Australia (UniSA) is an innovative, outward-looking institution known for its strong and engaged research and its experientially-based teaching and learning that is conducted in close collaboration with business, industry, government and the professions.
In recent years, we have maintained a strong upward trajectory across a number of key indicators and are ranked among the world’s top 50 young institutions. We are committed to international education activities and alumni, graduates who are equipped to meet the demands and expectations of the worldwide workforce, a culturally diverse staff and increasing student mobility.
Benefits on Offer
At UniSA, we seek to enrich people’s lives through the creation and application of knowledge. Our staff love to be a part of an organisational culture that promotes a strong commitment to educating professionals, sharing knowledge, and engaging with our communities.
We offer a competitive remuneration package and we have a family friendly approach to ensure you enjoy a healthy work/life balance.
Lodging your Application
For a copy of the position description and to apply, please visit https://workingatunisa.nga.net.au/. Applicants are required to upload a cover letter and resume only. Please address your cover letter for the role to Amruta Das, Recruitment Consultant. For further information about the position or the recruitment process, you can contact the UniSA Recruitment Central Team on +618 8302 1700 or via email to email@example.com using job reference number #1469
Applications close: 9.00am Thursday 29 November 2018
Pursuant to the Children's Protection Act 1993 (SA), this position has been deemed prescribed. This role will require the successful candidate to hold a current DHS Child-Related Employment Screening assessment.
It is an inherent requirement of this position that the successful candidate hold a current Vulnerable-person related employment screening assessment determining them fit to work with vulnerable people.
- Preview Application Form
In addition to your salary, the University will make employer superannuation contributions. The amount of superannuation you are entitled to will depend on the nature of your employment. You will also be entitled to annual leave loading, and other beneficial employment conditions. Click here to see more benefits of working for UniSA.
How to apply
Applications must be lodged online through Working at UniSA. If you experience any difficulty lodging your application visit FAQs. For further support contact Recruitment Central on +61 8 8302 1700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive a response within one working day.
- If you have NOT registered with our e-recruitment system, you can begin your Application by clicking the 'Begin' button below.
- If you are unsure if you have registered before, click here and follow the steps
- FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN DETAILS? click here and follow the steps