Director, Business Development
Duke Health’s Office of Business Development serves as a centralized resource working in partnership with the institutions, departments, and faculty to lead the exploration, expansion, development, and management of business opportunities for our health system.
Scope of Responsibilities:
The Director will oversee the business development and planning function for Duke University Health System and will work with clinical and administrative management to lead network tactical planning efforts across Duke Health and our affiliate programs.
Network and Business Development:
- Support leadership in executing business development and network expansion opportunities including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other strategic partnership relationships with hospitals, health system, and for-profit entities.
- Identify and assess business opportunities in support of the Duke Health strategic plan. Support the development of new business development initiatives to include document preparation and business plan development.
- Serve as point-person for business development and partnership activities to monitor progress and timelines, ensure inclusion of key stakeholders, and maintain high-quality service. Monitor the execution of network strategy and operational plans to ensure timely implementation.
- Lead cross-functional teams through the business development process including due diligence, valuation assessments, operational planning, and integration.
- Partner with University Counsel through contract development, governance discussions, and negotiations.
- Responsible for developing network strategic plans and/or business plans to support the successful attainment of organizational, operational, and clinical service goals.
- Guide the execution of network strategy and operational plans to ensure timely implementation.
- Direct relevant activities with the North Carolina Hospital Association and other external organization to influence state-wide initiatives and reporting decisions.
- Maintain close working relationships with hospital and physician leadership and staff to synchronize the network development plans with operations and ensure smooth transitions and implementation.
- Responsible for organizing and managing network planning efforts across Duke Health, including integrating network development activities in clinical service line with business and network development efforts.
- Lead Request for Proposals (RFP) and new business plan development processes including preparation of response documentation.
- Provide structured analysis and business planning for new program development and new business opportunities.
- Develop presentations and report out to Senior Leadership to provide overview and status updates of current activities and obtain necessary approvals as appropriate.
Market and Data Analysis:
- Provide oversight related to production and collection of relevant financial, clinical, and market data necessary for network development planning needs. This will include working with the affiliate hospitals, LifePoint Hospitals, Duke Medicine Service Lines, PDC, Corporate Finance, Performance Services, and other DUHS departments.
- Able to translate objective data and analysis into work plans that enable Network Services and the Business Development teams to surface issues, make informed decisions, and achieve strategic goals.
Institutional and Divisional Support:
- Collaborate with Clinical Planning and Analytics to access analytic support services, discuss project progress and ensure alignment of initiatives.
- Interact with Enterprise Wide Planning, Planning and Analytic Support and Marketing staff in order to coordinate efforts and share information.
- Engage with the Network Development Committee to facilitate reviews, solicit feedback, and achieve goals.
In order to fulfill the responsibilities set forth above, the Director should maintain open communication with leaders of the following programs / areas:
- DUHS Clinical Service Units
- Corporate and Hospital Finance, PRMO
- University Counsel, Compliance, Risk Management
- Real Estate and Facility Planning, Design & Construction
- Human Resources
- Clinical Engineering
- Clinical Planning and Analytics
- Duke Raleigh Hospital and Duke Regional Hospital Administration
- PDC Management
- DPC/DUHS Practice Operations
- DUHS Network Services Specialty Networks
- Network Affiliates and Duke LifePoint Healthcare staff
- Marketing and Communications
- Others as appropriate
The Director, at times, could lead a team of managers, analysts, and administrative staff in the successful execution of the jobs and responsibilities of the department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Business experience in such areas as hospital administration, provider strategic planning, business and operations planning, market research and financial analysis preferred
- Must be able to achieve results in a large, complex organization. Highly developed verbal, written, and analytical skills are necessary.
- Group facilitation and presentation skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously.
- Self-motivation and the ability to perform with minimal supervision.
Licensure, Training, and Policies:
The Director must ensure compliance with all mandatory DUHS policies, training, and health/safety requirements.
This position will be reviewed annually based on performance against a set of goals and objectives developed in alignment with DUHS and functional strategies. The set of annual goals and objectives is to be developed and agreed upon.
Requisition Number 401511440
Duke Entity HEALTH SYSTEM
Job Code 5226 DIR, NETWORK SERVICES
Job Family Level I2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Position requires analytical, organizational and communications skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program. MPH, MHA, or MBA with health care concentration strongly preferred..
Work requires a minimum of five years management experience within the healthcare industry OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Auto req ID 106255BR