Assistant Operations Manager
- Please note that the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources is currently recruiting for (2) Assistant Operations Manager openings.
- Under the direction of the Operations Manager, assists in the management and coordination of activities of personnel engaged in the operation of animal care facilities in the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources.
- Supervises the Comparative Medicine Specialist (CMS) staff under the guidance of the Operations Manager.
- Plans and schedules work assignments. Ensures that schedules are efficient, assignments are made promptly, and working time is utilized efficiently.
- Assigns duties to employees and monitors quantity and quality of work performed.
- Communicates assigned duties verbally and in writing. Monitors daily, weekly, and monthly work assignments in accordance with SOPs.
- Monitors attendance of employees in accordance with appropriate University/departmental policies and procedures.
- Conducts interviews and makes hiring recommendations.
- Demonstrates leadership by helping staff to achieve goals. Issues appropriate corrective action, including counseling and formal actions when needed, in accordance with Duke University work rules.
- Leads CMS staff meetings and attends leadership team meetings.
- Serves on various committees/projects as assigned. Shows initiative by making suggestions that lead to improved work processes.
- Identifies opportunities to enhance customer service. Ensures that commitments are met and problems resolved when out of the office.
- Consistently fosters respect in the workplace.
- Displays excellent communication skills in listening and responding to others in all situations.
- Communicates the need to train and support employees as the department changes. Treats customers with dignity and respect.
- Delegates challenging assignments to employees to support development. Balances quality and cost effectiveness in decision making.
- Assists with the establishment of performance standards for animal care and facility sanitation according to animal welfare regulations and AAALAC accreditation guidelines.
- Makes recommendations on improvements to leadership team.
- Facilitates the movement of animals coming to the university and the movement of animals within the medical center, and other facilities as needed.
- Monitors equipment, materials, and supplies needed for facility operations.
- Makes recommendations to the Operations manager and assists in the scheduling and ensuring completion of repairs.
- Inspects facility daily and reports issues to Operations Manager in a timely fashion.
- Takes initiative to promote a safe work environment.
- Ensures that employees are compliant with OESO and departmental safety guidelines.
Requisition Number: 401514028
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 1209 ASSISTANT OPERATIONS MGR, DLAR
Job Family Level: 13
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Bachelor's Degree in Animal Husbandry, Biology, Animal Science, or related field. LATG certification required. Participates in AALAS Certification Registry and maintain "Registered" status at Laboratory Animal Technologist Level.
Work requires five years of experience in laboratory animal resources, to include two years in a managerial role or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Auto req: ID106556BR