Senior Medical Assistant
The staff and faculty of the Comprehensive Cancer Center are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect, Compassion, Collaboration, Innovation and Commitment to Excellence.
Each employee is expected to understand and demonstrate in every interaction that we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families and each respective team member. Ensuring a Patient and Family centered experience according to the Health Systems Service Excellence Goals is a priority to the care of our patients. The individual chosen will be responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service including exhibiting a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
This position is in the Maize Team of the Cancer Center.
- Responsible for the coordination of daily activities for a group of Medical Assistants to ensure optimal clinical flow.
- Provides interpretation of and instructions for policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintains work schedules, and assists with performance evaluations of other Medical Assistants.
- Participates with leadership team to ensure effective clinical operations.
- Provides in service training, acts as a preceptor and coach's performance of other Medical Assistants.
- Promotes and facilitates positive communication with the entire health care tam.
- Performs and assists with clinical procedures and duties
80% of the time, this employee performs all the duties of a clinic Medical Assistant and covers absences. These duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring efficient patient flow in examination, consultation and treatment rooms.
- Preparing patient rooms for the office visit.
- Stocking exam and procedure rooms and keeping up to policy requirements.
- Cleaning exam rooms and procedure rooms.
- Providing clinical assistance by taking vital signs, updating medical and surgical histories and medication lists.
- Setting up and assisting with medical procedures.
- Performing High Level Disinfection processes, performing EKGs, Pulse ox and glucometer readings.
- This position requires problem solving and multitasking abilities.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant Program or an equivalent combination of education and 5+ years of experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting,positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Experience working as a team lead.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal & information technology skills.
- Experience with medical procedures involving high level disinfection.
- Certification as a medical assistant
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine's electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
Monday - Friday Normal hours are 7:30-4:00. Must be able to flex hour starts with clinic needs
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.